wernacres off road shorthorn bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Off Road was the very first bull calf off our herd sire Major Leroy that was born in the US. He was on display in Denver, and  he certainly has great muscle and thickness. He is also got an amazing ability to gain as he gained over 600 lbs from mid September to January. He was used hard last year and was thin when he came in, but he gained enough to look very good in Denver. While he does have a fairly low BW, he does have some shoulder, as most heavier muscled bulls do, so I was caution his use on heifers, but I definitely think he is going to sire some excellent offspring.

Here are two pics of Off Road. The first is a picture shortly after he topped the 09 Ohio Beef Expo. The second pic ( in the ad) was taken at Denver 2010.

Attachments

• Off Road Yearling Pic sm.jpeg
    Off Road Yearling Pic sm.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 338

CWshorthorns

Thank you for the info on heifers. The wife like the looks and i thought i would just see what i could find out we will use him on cows in a the next month  so i will see what happens.

jbw

I saw the bull, very impressed with his footsize, very nice bull. 

OH Breeder

Saw him when he sold. He is the real deal. Plenty of growth and depth. Lots of top and had some front. I didn't think then he had too much of anything just thought he was a balanced bull. He looks like he would work on some smaller framed moderate cows to put some grow in them. www.cattle.com has his video from Denver.

loveRedcows

Be wary of the birthweights.  I really liked the look of the bull and the advertised 77 lb birth weight so I used him on 2 of our Durham Red heifers.  Got absolutely fantastic bull calves but they weighed in at 100 & 98!  I will probably use him again, judging by the calves produced, but NOT on heifers.

OH Breeder

loveRedcows said:
Be wary of the birthweights.  I really liked the look of the bull and the advertised 77 lb birth weight so I used him on 2 of our Durham Red heifers.  Got absolutely fantastic bull calves but they weighed in at 100 & 98!  I will probably use him again, judging by the calves produced, but NOT on heifers.

Is it possible for you to post pictures of your calves? I am trying to figure what to use him on. I have a couple of cows think he could click.

loveRedcows

May take a few days but will try to get pics...weather has been horrible, lost another newborn just yesterday morning cause mom decided to have it half section out & in a snow storm.

justintime

I would not recommend him for heifers even with his 78 lb BW. I would not recommend his sire for use on heifers even though I know some people have done so with few problems. Breed your heifers to a known easy calving sire, and you will reap the dividends for many years into the future. It is important to allow your heifer to make the transition from heifer to cow with as little problems as possible. A hard calving on a heifer has ruined the reproductive lifetime of more than a few heifers... all because the owner was greedy and trying for the next great one from her first calf. Every breed has well known calving ease bulls. Use them!

sue

I am a fan of using a sire when I can see a pic of his dam.... I have never seen a photo of Off road's dam but have seen several pics of Wolf willow's  Major Leroy's dam. If you can deal .with red then use  the sire of Off Road instead.  I would agree with the SHOULDER problem  on off road - definately some frame with him too.  Wolf Willow Major Leroy might be a better route+++ I think if you keep digging you might many other progeny my this dam or Major Leroy too.

jbw

Off Roads dam is AWESOME!!!  I think she was Supreme ch female at IL state fair and maybe ch shorthorn the year before. I could be wrong but I think this is right.

vic

you were on the right track jbw, that was Off Road's maternal sister who was Champion Shorthorn heifer selected by Dr. Dave Hawkins from MSU and Supreme cow calf the following year by Scott Schaake. Their actual dam was a class winner at the jr. nationals in michigan the last time it was there. But she still is awesome. I went through Dale Wernicke's cows a few years ago, she is a big boned, stout, flashy cow and i think she was 10 years old then. If someone has a picture of her, post it.

TMJ Show Cattle

Dale Wernicke has a great shorthorn cow herd.Dale has another bull for the Ohio expo this year. He thinks he is even better. Not sure,but he might be a son of Off Road.

Here is the most recent picture of Off Road taken in Denver at 21 months of age. He was the Champion Bull at Ohio Beef Expo last year, and TOP SELLER.

His calf crop is looking AWESOME.

Just to clarify, his ACTUAL birth weight was 87 lbs (He WAS weighed because he was the first Major LeRoy calf in the United States) The 77 lbs. came from the Shorthorn Association as "adjusted" birth weight due to his pedigree.

We will post a picture of his mother tomorrow, and the calves that we have gotten pictures of that are on the ground.

Any breeding questions, you can call me, Dale Wernicke 815.369.2857(house) or 815.238.0900(cell) I would be happy to chat with anyone!

P.S. We do have an excellent bull going to Ohio Beef Expo, he is a Pure Gold out of a CF Royal cow,(which is out of the same cow family as Off Road, and is probably the best cow I never flushed.)

Attachments

• Off Road, Internet.jpg
    Off Road, Internet.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 234
here is a picture of Off Road's mother. she is a daughter of Wernacres Challenger, who was sired by CSF Dextro, who is sired by Steermaker.

Attachments

• off road's mother.jpg
    off road's mother.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 219

CWshorthorns

Thank you for the picture of the dam and all the info on off road. It looks like we will use him on a few of the cows and see how it turns out.

IVORYACRES

Have had 2 beautiful heifer calves sired by OFF ROAD, 88 lbs unassisted on due date & 86 lbs day late

Latest posts