Westfall Voyager V.S. SVF/NJC Amazon

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmgal

This is a question for those of you who have seen offspring of the bulls Westfall Voyager and SVF/NJC Amazon, or have seen the bulls themseves. Which of the two do you like better for producing showy looking Simmental cattle? How do the calves look as far as depth, stoutness, structure and front 1/3?

Thanks in advance!  (thumbsup)

SSIMMENTALS

Our experience has been a more showy look with Voyager vesus a bigger bodied type with Amazon. I would say Voyager is going to throw  more moderate framed, cleaner front; enough stoutness/depth. Amazon more guts and hip; pretty good fronts. Both should be good on structure.  We have only had limited calves out of both bulls, haven't seen as many Amazons, the Voyagers I have seen have followed our experiences.

Simmgal

SSIMMENTALS said:
Our experience has been a more showy look with Voyager vesus a bigger bodied type with Amazon. I would say Voyager is going to throw  more moderate framed, cleaner front; enough stoutness/depth. Amazon more guts and hip; pretty good fronts. Both should be good on structure.  We have only had limited calves out of both bulls, haven't seen as many Amazons, the Voyagers I have seen have followed our experiences.

Thank you!  (thumbsup)

OH Breeder

I used Amazon the first year he came out on a WMW/ ANgus cow. The calf was small and had a slow start. But when he matured he was one of the niceset steers we had. Really soft made fed easy. Wasn't much to look at an til he got older. Older he was the deeper he got. He was clean made and showy. Pohlman Farms used him a bunch and they had some nice females out of him and angus cows.

nmcattle

I have not used Voyager myself but have used Westfall Explorer which is a son of Voyager and I assume they breed similarly. I have also used Amazon myself and have seen plenty from other breeders. Explorer will certainly downsize and the calves are fancy with good hair. I was impressed with the amount of bone, thickness, and body they had which is something I didn't expect. They are certainly not the stoutest calves I've had but I didn't expect them to be. Mine also grew quite well considering his terrible growth epds. The only thing I was disappointed about were the front ends. They weren't terrible but I expected him to clean up the fronts much more. Amazon adds a powerful hip and plenty of muscle and bone. He works best on smaller framed, deep sided cows. I wouldn't say he cleans up fronts much but is okay himself. He has some shoulder which is expected with the power and muscle he possesses. Pohlmans have had great luck using him on small framed Ohlde type Angus cows. Also there was a fabulous Amazon heifer that was a top seller in the Louisville sale this past fall. In my opinion these bulls are opposites but both can be successful mated on the correct cows and depending on your goals.

Simmgal

nmcattle said:
I have not used Voyager myself but have used Westfall Explorer which is a son of Voyager and I assume they breed similarly. I have also used Amazon myself and have seen plenty from other breeders. Explorer will certainly downsize and the calves are fancy with good hair. I was impressed with the amount of bone, thickness, and body they had which is something I didn't expect. They are certainly not the stoutest calves I've had but I didn't expect them to be. Mine also grew quite well considering his terrible growth epds. The only thing I was disappointed about were the front ends. They weren't terrible but I expected him to clean up the fronts much more. Amazon adds a powerful hip and plenty of muscle and bone. He works best on smaller framed, deep sided cows. I wouldn't say he cleans up fronts much but is okay himself. He has some shoulder which is expected with the power and muscle he possesses. Pohlmans have had great luck using him on small framed Ohlde type Angus cows. Also there was a fabulous Amazon heifer that was a top seller in the Louisville sale this past fall. In my opinion these bulls are opposites but both can be successful mated on the correct cows and depending on your goals.
Thank you to everyone who has responded! I was curious to hear some opinions. I have a taller PB Simmental cow that I want to breed Voyager to to add some depth and downsize a little. I also had a moderate cow that I wanted to get a show prospect out of, and I think Voyager is my choice so far.