What am I?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Durham

I took this picture today of this calf for our sale, and am questioning my calving book. Is he a Shorthorn or a Durham Red? I will parent test him, but thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks>

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 213

linnettejane

im guessing shorthorn, and i really like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  he's flat awesome!
what are the choices for sires?
what sale?

PaFFA Proud

Lol I Know..i know... its a redish brown bovine!!!! (clapping) (lol) I say shorthorn 
:)))  <------Lol its for me, not previous poster 8)

Durham

Well, at least I'm not the only one! My records tell me he is out of a shorthorn cow and a Red Angus bull. He is really red for this Red Angus bull though. I think I was kinda hoping he was a purebred, I could use a bull with that much base width. Isn't that a really beautifully constructed front end though?

Durham

This is his sire (alleged anyway). Lorenzen Santiam Rebel 6403.

Attachments

• Lorenzen Santiam Rebel.JPG
    Lorenzen Santiam Rebel.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 170

OH Breeder

WOW, nice nice bull. Hard to say with the deep red color. I would expect him to orange more being a durham red. either way he is a nice one. Great front end nice top.

aj

I've seen about 90 Red Angus - Shorthorn crosses now. I've seen half bloods that were dark red and some that were a little roany....like a blue roan only red.

Shorthorns4us

I'm with some of the other posts that he looks Durham Red from the head shape. 
I also agree that you can't always count on the Durham Reds having an "orangy" or lighter red coloring.  They can be just as deep cherry red as a pure shorthorn.  I have one right now that if you didn't know- you would swear all shorthorn from the color alone.
Very nice bull- he should have tremendous commercial use.
EF

garybob

garybob said:
Dont sell him. Breed him next year, to the l4yr old Adelaide cow. my advice, fwiw.
Seriously, Durham, he is a BEAST, no matter what his level of Shorthorn breeding is. I shouldn't tell a man, much less a cattleman, how to run his business.

GB