What Angus Bull should I use on our IAL heifer - Pic of heifer included

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations on what bull to use on our IAL heifer but I didn't include any pictures of our heifer.  I have decided to go with an Angus bull over all the bulls that were recommend but still unsure which Angus bull to use. I am leaning towards using the Big Softy over OCC Homer because he should be safe for heifers and there is a better chance we get a keeper out of him.  Before I order the straws, I wanted to post the pic of the heifer and see what people thought about this pairing. 

Attachments

• 71a.jpg
    71a.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 425

Gargan

i have a buddy that bred his hw daughter to n.i. for her first calf and had a 90+ lb calf that he said was a very hard pull. i know lots of people get along well with n.i. (and i love his calves ) but just wanted to throw that caution out there. occ kirby or magnitude would be a good choice. ive heard good things about both of these bulls calves and the ease n which they come. Only one i have experience with is had a kirby hfr calf last yr that was 60 lbs and was very vigerous. shes in the replacement this year too. good luck to you

FriedgesCharolais

I have a picture posted on a thread about my heifer she is a pure product and i think he would work for a first calf heifer had two calves out of him this year and they were both about 65 pounds. The day one heifer was born i went out to give her a shot 4 hours after she was born and couldnt catch her! in my mind that is some vigor now she is been on a halter 5 times and i am already able to walk up and pet her so she has good dispostion also. Just my 2 cents

bryan6807

Had a N.I. out of a simmy cow, calf was 110lbs, never have seen one under 90 personally. I would highly recommend Duff Hobart, he seems to do everything right and is the best bull to come out of the great Duff program

Gargan

Bovine Chaos said:
Had a N.I. out of a simmy cow, calf was 110lbs, never have seen one under 90 personally. I would highly recommend Duff Hobart, he seems to do everything right and is the best bull to come out of the great Duff program

I love that bulls picture. he is a cool looking bull. have you seen any calves out of him yet?

cpubarn

I think that someone that is an owner of hobart posts here, in the meantime, I really liked some Hobarts that sold on Tree Lane Farms sale.  I just didn't have big enough of a budget.

This should be a link to their sale report that has pictures and videos of some very nice Hobart calves.....

http://www.treelanefarms.com/forsale.html

I personally am trying to select a Duff influenced bull also, just wish I could get one with 3ml sexed semen.....

Mark

CJC

Sambosu said:
A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations on what bull to use on our IAL heifer but I didn't include any pictures of our heifer.  I have decided to go with an Angus bull over all the bulls that were recommend but still unsure which Angus bull to use. I am leaning towards using the Big Softy over OCC Homer because he should be safe for heifers and there is a better chance we get a keeper out of him.  Before I order the straws, I wanted to post the pic of the heifer and see what people thought about this pairing.   
Calving Ease goes out the window in my opion when you are dealing with show cattle. Commercial cattle ya.

cpubarn

One more thing.  OCC Homer and Duff Hobart are discussed in this thread.  They are different bulls and Homer has a better epd for calving ease, so please look them up yourself as you decide.

Mark

blackdiamond

AAOK said:

Rocky Balboa

I saw some really fancy RB calves this spring at a Shorthorn herd.  Swears, he'll never breed a first calf heifer to anything else.  Says those fancy little clubby things are almost his high seller every year.  Not bad for first calf heifers...

bryan6807

Seen a dozen hobarts, bulls and heifers and they are cool!!! BW are moderate (70-80lbs) they are uniform, thick, and stylish for angus sired cattle. Oak Row Angus here in Michigan swears by him and they plan to use a lot of him. Also seen some nice Bismark calves and they came easy as well.