What are some good ag realted jobs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Having been in Ag for the greatest part of my life, I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been a consumer(farmer) & a person providing the service for the people in Ag.
If a young person is looking at a job in agriculture, what are some good suggestions for them? What do you see as a trend? Any advice on college they'll need?
Over my long career path I've worked in the following fields:
grain grader (very boring & dusty work)
grain merchandiser
Sales: feed & seed (loved, since I have the gift of gab)
marketing
also I have milked cows for a 700 cow dairy
What can you recommend? Or if your a young person what are you seeing or issues you're facing?

Red (welcome)

cowz

Right now is a great time for a kid that loves science to also be able to have a great job in ag.  All of the new start up ethanol companies are going to need ag engineers and biochemists.  Microbiology is also a great field for a young person to work in a job that is involved in ag.  Ok, so those are the high dollar jobs for ag.    Most of the fun jobs still do not pay real well, like ag teachers or extension agents, but it is all a respectable and needed calling.

Do any of you guys know any young farm and ranch accountants.?  Mine is 82 years old!  I really dont want to give her up, but she says to start looking.  I keep telling my kiddo that accounting is a great field you could take along with animal science (and still earn an off farm income!) ;D

red

not out your way cowz!! but you're right ag accounting or ag law have to be hot fields too.

Red

Latest posts