What are the odds...

Help Support Steer Planet:

cpubarn

My son had a red shorthorn plus cow (7/8) that we AI'd to Jakes Proud Jazz.  She calved either 10 days late, or 10 days early to the new herd bull that is a black simi. Since the calf was smaller (75#) red, with black nose and tip of tail I assumed that it was out of the black herd bull, (making him heterozygous black).  Now that we are about done calving, we have had no other red calves, with 6-7 red cows and a handfull of red carriers in the black cows.

SO...  What do you think,  Shorthorn calf? or Foundation Simmental? 

I am open for speculation, although I assume if the calf is good enough we should have it blood tested before we register it.  Will they register a shorthorn with a black nose and tip of tail?

Picture attached if it will help...

Mark

Attachments

• janeandRed.jpg
    janeandRed.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 314

Doc

I'm going to say Shortie.  What is the other 1/8 in the cow? Yes they will reg. the calf. A lot of the old full Irish would have a black spot or black nose. One super producing full Irish cow was AF Shannon Margie 027 aka Black Nosed Margie.

shortyjock89

My Sonny cow has a black nose, black in her ears, and a few black hairs in her tail/on her butt.  I bet it's a Shortie too. 

shortdawg

In GA, if a SH steer has a black nose he has to be shown crossbred. One of our kids had a blue roan steer (obviously SH Influence ) and they wouldn't even put him in AOB for a SH +, he had to go crossbred. Same thing happened on another with a black nose.

shortyjock89

shortdawg said:
In GA, if a SH steer has a black nose he has to be shown crossbred. One of our kids had a blue roan steer (obviously SH Influence ) and they wouldn't even put him in AOB for a SH +, he had to go crossbred. Same thing happened on another with a black nose.

That's rough.  If there are red papers on a Shortie up here, it's a PB...if it's got Green papers, it's a SH+ or AOB.

shortdawg

That's the thing, they don't use papers on our steers down here. You have a group of three to five people class your steer by what you have declared it to be on you entry form. If it don't class as the breed you want you get kicked to commercial. This is just for the breed shows, everything else is strictly by weight.

cpubarn

The remainder is maine as far as I can tell.  "jmp black Bolt" is back a ways on her petigree sheet.

She needs to be downsized and deeper (not quite as much as it looks in the picture), so we will see as the calf develops if this is a good cross.  The "upgrading" process is facinating to me.

Thanks for your opinions, a blood test will be required I presume.

Mark