What are the odds?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

TJ- you're going to have a friend for life in Knabe if you start talking about Ildeno & genestar testing!
We had Ildeno as one of bull's profiled in our "Hall of Fame". Knabe actualy wrote up the piece.
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=628.0

Thanks for the information again! Great stuff!

Red

TJ

red said:
TJ- you're going to have a friend for life in Knabe if you start talking about Ildeno & genestar testing!
We had Ildeno as one of bull's profiled in our "Hall of Fame". Knabe actualy wrote up the piece.
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=628.0

Thanks for the information again! Great stuff!

Red

The Ildeno genetics worked very well for us & I can certainly see why Knabe would be a fan.  We raised a few pretty decent show steers, many moons ago, that that traced back to Ildeno. 

BTW, the guy who sold us most of our Chi genetics has visited us a few times during the last the couple of years, including once this spring.  It gets really interesting to watch his body language & facial expressions when he is around & the subject of Lowlines comes up!!   ;)  He seems to like the Tarenataise, and even talked about buying a really good Tarentaise cow to hobby with about 15 years ago, but I just don't think that he is quite ready to give me his blessing RE my small framed Angus cattle.  ;)

genes

Ok I have a stupid question but I just gotta ask.  That bull in your profile pic is a lowline right?  Well, um, for halfbloods, do you AI?  Or give him a stepstool?  Or is he just big enough for a heifer (or just really determined perhaps  ;D)?  I've seen Lowlines and right now I'm just not picturing it. so pardon me for asking.

And I'm pretty sure I've also seen some "purebred" angus that had some Chi in them....really different heads.

red

Genes, check out his bull for sale in the classifieds section. I'd like to see justme's hubby AI a lowliner. all 6'5" of him!

Red (clapping)

TJ

genes said:
Ok I have a stupid question but I just gotta ask.  That bull in your profile pic is a lowline right?  Well, um, for halfbloods, do you AI?  Or give him a stepstool?  Or is he just big enough for a heifer (or just really determined perhaps  ;D)?  I've seen Lowlines and right now I'm just not picturing it. so pardon me for asking.

And I'm pretty sure I've also seen some "purebred" angus that had some Chi in them....really different heads.

Yes, it is a Lowliine. Also, your question is a VERY legit one.  I worried about the exact same thing when I 1st got these things. I never saw my 1st Lowline bull actually breed a single female, but I knew they weren't returning to heat & they all calved that next year.  That bull was 6 inches shorter than the bull in my picture.     

Unless they are really, really tall mature cows, the bull in the picture will get the job done.  My partner has some 1900+ lb. Angus cows & her previous Lowline bulls have all been 3 inches shorter than the bull in my picture & they got her big cows bred. 

Anyway, where there is a will there is a way.  I've heard of short bulls breeding cows while laying down, catching them going down hill, jumping up into the air to "finish the job", herding a cow into a hole or a depression & lots of other interesting stories.  I breed all of my dad's frame 5 & 6 heifers & a few of his cows every year to Lowlines & I have so far always ended up with a 100% calf crop of females exposed.  Small frame or not, a 100% calf crop is what it's all about!!     

Red... ;)  (lol)

red

TJ, if you would ever like to do a piece on the history of the lowliners & some of the notable ones, we'd love it!
I've really enjoyed reading your comments.
My hubby did watch their sale in Denver this year. he was amazed at some of the prices.
Red

TJ

red said:
TJ, if you would ever like to do a piece on the history of the lowliners & some of the notable ones, we'd love it!
I've really enjoyed reading your comments.
My hubby did watch their sale in Denver this year. he was amazed at some of the prices.
Red

Thanks, Red!  I'll give it a try, I am just not going to promise how quickly I am going to "git r dun".  ;)

RE the Denver sale... it's an eye opener for sure!!  4 imported embryo's sold for... are you ready for this... over $12,000!!  :eek:  A bred fullblood heifer sold for $26,000 this year & a few years ago, another bred heifer sold for $33,000!!  A couple of bulls topped $15,000 too!!    2 years ago, a bred 1/2 blood heifer sold for over $9,000... and she was a 1/2 blood!!!!!  :eek:  Not a bad sale at all, that is IF you are on the selling end!! 

TJ