What brand and style clippers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

My son is looking to purchase a clipper. He is doing a lot more of his own clipping so he would like to have one of his own so we can both clip at the same time. We currently have an Andis 2 speed and an older Oster that I use mostly just for the heads. My question is, what style and / or brand do you all like best? Any to stay away from? We were thinking of getting another Andis so our blades would fit both but maybe there is another option that others have.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments

DLZ

OH Breeder

In my clipper box I keep three sets of Andis. I have the older two speed red and the newer blue ones. I have a super blocking blade, medium blade and a 5/8's. For heads the ANdis flat heads are amazing, they are quiet and smooth and when you have a calf that is head shy they are a must have. I recently went over the STierwalt video again and he suggest the T-84 blade to drag.
I bought my Andis flatheads on Ebay, they were originally 385 and I got them for 200. I have used them a bunch on young calves they are the BEST! For everyday clipping, I use my super blocking blade with the blue Andis.
JMO

itk

I don't know how old your son is but I would say buy a torch. I've never been a good clipper but I praticed on a few head with our torch this fall and IMO I think it is allot easier faster and if done right looks better then clippers. Then you can use the 2 speeds to touch up.

OH Breeder

I think if I used a torch i would probably set things a fire..namely myself. Last weekend, I ran the clipper blade right in to the palm of my hand- OUCH. NIce little fliet.

ROAD WARRIOR

I have several sets of clippers and the Andis two speeds are the most used of all of them. The new ones fit my hand the best and are the most comfortable to use if you spend several hours clipping several head

shortyjock89

Andis 2 speed and also the Ultra Edge have been a mainstay in my clipper box for years.  The 2 speeds that I have now have been in use for 6 years and they run better than the Ultra Edge that I got 2 years ago. This year for X Mas I'm asking for a new set of Ultra Edge clippers. 

Now, I know you didn't ask about blades, but the Sullivan X Block's are awesome for clipping glued legs, and I use them as an all-purpose blade, but if he is still learning to do the finer points of clipping, the Oster Groom Master's are good blades, and I think they are a bit more forgiving than the X-Blocks.

Oh, and on OH B's nice story about chopping up his hand...last year I was clipping on my sister's heifer and she kicked the clippers that were in my hand..they spun around in the air and sliced my thumb open...me+blood thinners+ sharp blades= not good.  I got the bleeding stopped no problem, but she had to show my heifer for me because my had was all wrapped up.  Be careful with those things!!

OH Breeder

shortyjock89 said:
Andis 2 speed and also the Ultra Edge have been a mainstay in my clipper box for years.  The 2 speeds that I have now have been in use for 6 years and they run better than the Ultra Edge that I got 2 years ago. This year for X Mas I'm asking for a new set of Ultra Edge clippers. 

Now, I know you didn't ask about blades, but the Sullivan X Block's are awesome for clipping glued legs, and I use them as an all-purpose blade, but if he is still learning to do the finer points of clipping, the Oster Groom Master's are good blades, and I think they are a bit more forgiving than the X-Blocks.

Oh, and on OH B's nice story about chopping up his hand...last year I was clipping on my sister's heifer and she kicked the clippers that were in my hand..they spun around in the air and sliced my thumb open...me+blood thinners+ sharp blades= not good.  I got the bleeding stopped no problem, but she had to show my heifer for me because my had was all wrapped up.  Be careful with those things!!
The blood thinners always make it more interesting.

ROAD WARRIOR

As long as we're telling war stories - I had a set of 7120's ran down the side of my hand and wrist, it took 64 stitches, three layers deep to get things back in place. Still have a 3 1/2 inch scar as a reminder to be more careful when clipping sale cattle.

shortyjock89

DAAAANG....I never had anything like that happen to me when I was clipping...even our "wild" sale calves...the worst that I've seen here is when a kid was trying to learn how to clip, and he wanted to clip the head, so I let him...the heifer shook her head, and the flathead's went right into his hand/wrist...It looked worse than what it was..no severed arteries or major veins...but he was waaay more careful next time he gave it a shot.

ROAD WARRIOR

Clipping cow or bull sales for years has gotten me my share of dingers. Back in the "old days" before we had torches and used sheep heads for about everything, you could catch a running set of shears in places you didn't want to. I've even had a piece of one ear sewn back on. They say scars are tattoos with better stories, maybe I should write a book of these stories.

shortyjock89

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Clipping cow or bull sales for years has gotten me my share of dingers. Back in the "old days" before we had torches and used sheep heads for about everything, you could catch a running set of shears in places you didn't want to. I've even had a piece of one ear sewn back on. They say scars are tattoos with better stories, maybe I should write a book of these stories.

I'd read it...I like to hear the war stories...I tried to clip a calf with just sheepshead's a couple years back...and it is hard!..I gained alot of appreciation of the guys that made those cattle look amazing with just those big ol' things.

ROAD WARRIOR

When I was younger we used to talk about "old so and so", one of the old guys that we all respected because they had lasted so long on the road. Now I look around at all of the young "kids" at the shows with their hats on backwards and pants around their knees and realize that I am one of the old guys now. The book deal sounds alot easier than spending a week on the concrete.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Dad said:
OHB - Do you have 911 on speed dial? ;)

RW - I would think you could sell plenty of books! ;D

Hmmm.... How about - "Bulls, Cows and Scars - Tales of the Road Warrior"

OH Breeder

They have got enough of my money at the hospital over the past couple of years...we won't go down that road. But you know, I am ALWAYS hurting myself. As RW said, another scar, cut bruise etc. They are growing pains.
RW- WOW- that is some serious cut. 64 OUCH! Bet that left one heck of a scar.
I also would read the book. I like hearing about the history. I am afraid if I tried to use the sheep heads, I would be minus a few fingers and my calf wouldn't have a tail. We don't dock tails on cattle here.... ;)

ROAD WARRIOR

Back in "the good old days" the sheep heads were the best thing we had to work with. I still fire up a pair of them once in awhile to clip through adhesive or if I am working on one with a ton of hair - goin' mowin' as we say! Old habits die hard! I have kind of quit clipping sales anymore other than our own and really don't miss it much.

shortyisqueen

I have a pair of Andis Lightspeed clippers and LOVE them with X-Block blades. Great for clipping legs and I witch to medium blade for doing tops. They are lots fast enough, super light, quiet and the light allows me to get lots of hairs I would otherwise not even see.

Dero

In my main clipper box thererare a set of Andis two speeds with x-blocks and mediums, and a set of Premier 4000's with 7112{beveled combs} and blocking blades.  I still prefer my sheepheds over the toy cllippers.