What breed is best for someone who wants to start into raising show animals?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Honkomp

I am giving some thought to purchasing a breeding heifer to show and breed, with the goal of raising calves for my kids to show and eventually build a small herd and sell calves.  What would be the best breed of or crossbred to work with.  Angus has always been popular, what are that breeds draw backs.  Short Horns have always been interesting; what are the pros and cons?  Is there a better way to go?
Honkomp

Doc

Of course my vote is going to be Shorthorn. The biggest thing that drew us to them in 1972 was their docility. They make good mothers & of course in some herds the different colors.

Show Steaks

I'd say angus is a pretty good base seeing how they cross well with many other breeds ex: simmental, maine, and shorthorn. Thos F1 crosses will be your ticket to making good club calves

vc

I would go with Sim-Angus cows, gives you allot of flexibility in your program, can breed replacements heifers, show heifers, and steers that you can sell.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
SMOKEY AN CREAM Charolais cross --------These cattle have the extra muscle an bone with moderate size an middle if you have a planned breeding program.
ANGUS -CHAROLAIS will have no TH or PHA  problems, check out the Angus for there problems , heard the assoc. has another job for the genetic DOCTOR wonder when they will tell us about it ....
Charolais on MAINE-OR KEY cow with Angus background are very sucessfull .....Once you get a base herd started use SMOKE bulls on SMOKE cows an CREAM bulls on CREAM cows ....

What ever cross you go with do some planning on what genetics you are using , CHAROLAIS is a prime example they are  lots of the breed headed in a different direction than what will work to raise club calves ....

Simmgal

Herefords (for kids) Docility, easy keepers, great junior base, functionality, and gotta love those Hereford crosses! Haha they're mainly good for getting kids started.. Angus and simmental and shorthorn are good for making more of a powerful, showy look though, and angus cross well with many things. Just depends on preference. I personally love Simmental and simangus cattle, but I hve been successful with other crosses as well.

mark tenenbaum

Simmgal said:
Herefords (for kids) Docility, easy keepers, great junior base, functionality, and gotta love those Hereford crosses! Haha they're mainly good for getting kids started.. Angus and simmental and shorthorn are good for making more of a powerful, showy look though, and angus cross well with many things. Just depends on preference. I personally love Simmental and simangus cattle, but I hve been successful with other crosses as well.///
I like all three plus Charolais cross-on Shorthorns. I have seen some really cool Char-Shorthornx whatever. To me-a 2-3 way cross would have to be cool.Like using Young Money on a smoke-the color might be different-but the phenotype would have to be bad news to competitors,and everbodies in there-including Galloway. O0

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I would say Red Angus, because the breed numbers are low. Shorthorns and Black Angus are going be very popular, but very hard to compete. Maine cattle are in the same group and work well also. But if i wanted to dominate a breed it would have to be the Red Angus, competition looks pretty easy from over here. There is a guy in Oklahoma who has some freaking awesome Red Angus so i posted a pic of one of his cows. Plus there is a pretty good market for Red Angus bulls in the commercial side of the business. All im saying is give me one of these and i can do some damage with my feed and care program. I think i gave myself the Red Angus fever. I got it real bad. Dont know if im gonna make it through the night. (angel)
Red-Cow-1.gif

rocknmranch

If it's going to be strictly for show calves, go with char-maine-sim-ang..... I tell you what, the calves I have on the ground from this cross are amazing. Have had a few lookers, calves are still to young to go, and they have been impressed! Laying claim to several calves, and the heifers are just as nice.

I think the most important thing to do is to stick with good genetics. Find cows and bulls that are proven, throw off spring that is yo ur ideal, and maternal traits are high. Nothing worse than nice looking cattle that dont take care of their babies.

knabe

it's probably important to hook up with someone who won't sell you the sky and is willing to work with you than to worry so much about what breed when you start out.  keep your investment low while you gain confidence and knowledge.  try different breeds, working for someone else who is successful.  learn who keeps good books and glom onto them.  

Honkomp

. I think i gave myself the Red Angus fever. I got it real bad. Don't know if I'm gonna make it through the night. (angel)
Red-Cow-1.gif

[/quote]

I was wondering about the red side of the Angus.  I really like the way they look in the pasture.  Theere is a guy in my area with a large herd, they are beautiful!

AAOK

Hands Down it would be Black Purebred Maine-Anjou.  You will already have the Angus Black, without the CRAZIES and the competitive numbers.  Maine- Anjou PB cows can be crossed soooo many different ways, plus they are Hairy, Docile & great for kids.  And, the Greatest Junior National Shows!!!

No Brag, just Fact!

Mueller Show Cattle

I depends on what the trend is in your area. Here is Wyoming, if it ain't black it ain't coming back, as sad as it sounds is true. Champion drive was all black. In Texas Smokey steer or Charolais do well, but not here in Wyoming. I like Maine Angus crosses along with Simmental Angus crosses as my breeding stock, then I breed to club calf bulls. I am going to buy some shorthorn plus heifers this fall to breed next spring and see how they work with a homo black club calf bull. I have all black females and breed to all black bulls hoping for all black calf's because they do better in this area and sell better.

cowgirl864

go & see a show in you local area, talk to the local kids & parents, coachs ect, get to know whats popular, whats not, the breed classes & then make a more informed decision. they may not have a  breed show or don't have market heifers ect in your local area, plus you will have local referances to go by,  also don't buy IMHO the most popular breed there,Marty

savaged

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
I would say Red Angus, because the breed numbers are low. Shorthorns and Black Angus are going be very popular, but very hard to compete. Maine cattle are in the same group and work well also. But if i wanted to dominate a breed it would have to be the Red Angus, competition looks pretty easy from over here. There is a guy in Oklahoma who has some freaking awesome Red Angus so i posted a pic of one of his cows. Plus there is a pretty good market for Red Angus bulls in the commercial side of the business. All im saying is give me one of these and i can do some damage with my feed and care program. I think i gave myself the Red Angus fever. I got it real bad. Dont know if im gonna make it through the night. (angel)
Red-Cow-1.gif

You got me thinkin Old Shorty.    It's the Red Angus fever!  Hep me, Hep me!