What bulls to make show steers and useable females on Angus cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SDCC

We have some Angus cows that are very stylish, sound, deep bodied, long, and clean made. These cows all have plenty of frame. Our Angus cows are mostly Famous 7001 daughters and grand daughters. I am looking for opinions on bulls to use that will make the most marketable calves overall. We are not in a good area to sell  bulls and every year we seem to be blessed with almost all bull calves. I would prefer to market the bull calves in the fall as show steers and retain some of the better heifers. Will many people buy Angus show steers in Iowa or Minnesota? I would love to hear what is working for other people. I have made a list of bulls that come to mind, but I would like input from those who have been out there and seen these cattle and know what they are working on.

If we keep them Angus...
Duff New Edition 6108
OCC Emblazon
BC Marathon
BC Lookout
Silveiras El Capitan 6510

for  sim-angus  calves....
3C picaso
3C Macho
Bar CK Dominator
JF/AJE Rendition 738t
sexed Maximus ( 1/2 simmi ) but if they're good they should be marketable... any opinons on this one?

for Maintainers....
CMAC Tyson
DCC Smokin' Joe

Composite bulls...
Heat Wave or clone -  How does he do on Angus cows? Will the Heifers make good cows if they are out of really nice Angus cows?
GF Stainless steel
GF Mile High Max

frostback

You may want to put Hardcore on your list. He has sired both heifers and steers for us. I would never use him again on heifers after 2007 but we loved the calves that lived so well we used him again on cows and have some good rips of both sexes.
The Maximus bull is great too. We have two heifers that we are selling in April and sold a steer by him last year. We will be using him again this spring but we dont have the sexed semen but dont really care about that.
I know you said they have some frame but if you do have any short stout ones Hannibal is working on them. Dont use on tall cows they will get too big.

kane1598

for clubbies, Heatwave, Texas Hold'em (habeger). Manchild, and Dr. Who (good steers and great females), and Dirty Harry for maintainers.

kanshow

Angus - Emblazon & New Edition - seen good bulls & heifers from both.   

Simm - 3C Macho will give you good bulls, steers or heifers and you'll get thickness, Maximus - a little concerned you won't like the heifers.  Picasso - has never been a favorite of mine - I've seen good calves and bad calves.  I'd also put Dream On or one of his better sons on my list. 

Chap

Replacement females and show steers really limits you options.  I would not recommend HW or anything in that line for female production.  You have clean cows, and I would suggest keeping them that way.  I think you can go toward simmi for some really great females but you will most likely find the steers to be "good feedlot calves" not elite show type cattle.  As part of my "shameless, self-promotion" campaign.  I would ask that you look at CNS Exclusive as a simmi option as his calves look really nice on Angus cows.. Dream On would also work and they make great females, although they will not add lots of bone or power.
When looking to clean clubby genetics, I will throw out a few prominant names and a few more obscure ones.  Who MAde Who, 602 Full Flush, Cunia 602, Wonder, Pitch Black, Sandman,  also maybe Hairy Bear, although I do not know what kind of cows they are making. 

frostback

Maximus - a little concerned you won't like the heifers. 

[/quote]
What is it about the heifers that concerns you? Not many go through the cost of sexing semen for heifers if they are no good.

Turkey Creek Ranch

We have been using Morgan's Direction for a few years now. Some of our best heifers are out of him, they have extremely sound, lightweight calves. He would be my first choice if looking to produce Angus heifers. Also had a steer that did very well out of him last year.

Here is a link to him.
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=29AN1619

HVNR

We really like our Dream On/Angus calves. The purebred calves that I have seen out of the Dream On Son - In Dew Time look really good. He has a little less frame and I think he will give a little more flank. Good structure as well, and his frame score is a little less than Dream On. I  have not seen any percentage calves out of him though.

Macho is good as well, but my opinion is that needs to be used on moderate framed cattle.

worthabit

We have used morgans direction for two years, only have bulls, but not really show type.  We flushed a cow to BC Lookout this winter, unfortunately only got 3 embryos. I am thinking of using him on some shorthorn and maine heifers this spring.

Bawndoh

You can also have fertility problems with Dream On...some of his sons are just not growing testicles or passing semen tests.

Jill

For maintainers I will second the Dr Who and Hard Core, for composite can't beat Heat Wave for steers I don't think you can say the same for females, but bred to Angus you may be ok.

Telos

If you are a gambler...My suggestion (not to make this anymore confusing) would be the new bull Sheriff Taylor which was on display at Denver and I believe he was owned by ABS. I thought he was awesome. Check him out on cattle.com.

SDCC

Chap said:
  I would ask that you look at CNS Exclusive as a simmi option as his calves look really nice on Angus cows..

Chap
  I looked at your bull. I like him, he looks  allot like Bar CK Dominator and JF/AJE Rendition 738t in my opinion. His dam happens to be my all time favorite Simmental cow.  I considered buying embryos from "Perfection" in the Grindstone Creek sale  until I seen how much they sold for. I will keep him in mind if I decide the make Simangus.  Couple other Simmi bulls I have liked is Motown and Trademark but I didn't think they would fit the clubbie deal as well and yes I have seen some very nice Dream On's but I was afraid
he might not be powerfull enough for Angus cows, a D.O. son I think could do both is MAAS True Dream.

Chap

if you like the Dream On line, the most powerful, clubby looking son that I have seen calves out of is High Voltage.  Owned by a couple friends of mine, they are coming easy and have more power than others bred like him.  You can check him out on Cattle visions or Top Sires. 

yuppiecowboy

You can dink around and maybe get a sellable steer, or you can raise heifers. You cant do both. I would suggest using pretty much any simi that has been mentioned, keep the heifers, pound out the steers and be loaded for bear on the next generation.

Angus cows just cant give that extra pop thats needed for clubbies. It happens, but it is rare. Take that F1 cross though and you got a factory.

And no one buys angus steers in IA or MN.