What can I expect to pay to have some calves broke to lead?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

Because of my wrist that has not healed well and a bad knee, I want to hire someone to break at least 3 heifers and a bull or two.  I have just weaned the calves and they are branded, and have their shots.  There is a man who is breaking horses for the vet I use and he used to show cattle as a boy.  He is really great with livestock and broke his calves by putting them in a chute where they could move a little, fed and watered them there, brushed them, washed them. haltered them, and petted them for a couple of weeks.  Then he would take his horse and lead them for two miles and he never had any trouble with his calves.  He broke 15 at a time.  I have done similar things, but lead them to water and back to the pen.  I would tie their head down and then up, but never left them a lone.  Then I would take them to feed, water and made them walk in circles one way and then the other.  I just cannot do that today.  So, I need to know what is a fair price to pay him or offer him.

Thanks.
jdw

pigguy

is he also going to be careing for them? or just breaking them? i would take about 50 for breaking a calf maybe a little less if the calf was really easy but i havent ever gotten payed to do it. so  :)))

chambero

Talk to your local ag teacher and see if he has some kids needing some money.

We'll pay high school kids around $10-12 an hour to help us evenings and weekends when we are calving out heifers or clipping cows for sales or needing odd jobs done during the summer.  I'm assuming they would be using your facilities.  You shouldn't have trouble finding help that has messed with show calves in that range.  Beats working at the local grocery or convenience store.

fluffer

We use donkeys.  On average we charge about $100 for a week.  We tie the calf to a donkey and leave them be for a few days.  Then we start fooling with them a little bit.  Buy the end of the week we can usually lead them around.  We mostly break 4H calves for the fair.