What causes a bloody nose?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

We have a cow at the ranch who has bright red blood coming out of her nostril, only on one side.  It is not  a lot of blood, more like a trickle.  She is laying down a lot and does not have much energy.  Anybody know what might cause this?

DL

cowcrazy said:
We have a cow at the ranch who has bright red blood coming out of her nostril, only on one side.  It is not  a lot of blood, more like a trickle.  She is laying down a lot and does not have much energy.  Anybody know what might cause this?
Call your vet - from your description I would interpret that the cow has lost sufficient blood to be anemic - the cause could be infectious, toxic, or a local lesion (ie tumor) - somebody needs to examine the cow...

HT

definitely call the vet, keep an eye on her. My very first steer started with a bloody nose and it just ended up be it being a cut on the inside of his left nostril, but it could be something to be concerned about.

cowcrazy

Thanks for the responses.  I talked to the vet and we are going to give her some Tetradure.  Hopefully that will bring her around.

DL

cowcrazy said:
Thanks for the responses.  I talked to the vet and we are going to give her some Tetradure.  Hopefully that will bring her around.

You might want to ask him to run a hematocrit to see if the cow is anemic...

cowcrazy

Thanks to you all for the responses-especially DL.  By the time I got to the ranch yesterday she had been started on antibiotics and was looking much better. There was no blood visible anywhere, she was alert and eating.  We kept her in all weekend and continued to watch her.  She just kept improving, with the exception of the scours, which had gotten better by the time we left.  Her gums looked good, and she almost knocked me down to get to her cubes, so I think she is going to be okay.

Thanks, again!  That's one thing I really like about SP - you can always ask for help and not feel too stupid!