what colors to blend on legs for shorthorns???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Clubcalfshowgirl

ok i really want to be able to build my legs on my shorthorn steer but i havent figured out what colors to use to get it his deep dark red color. what order of colors does everyone use?? any help as hes a gorgous calf!!

shortyjock89

Use tail glue after using primetime. Comb both adhesives in alot, it will make the leg look really full. Then, I spray on a light coat of tail glue again. Key word there is LIGHT. Then it's Ultra White to build, then Crimson is what I use. You have to keep the can pretty far from the leg (I would say like a foot or more) Use light coats just keep adding until it matches up. The main thing with Crimson paint is that if you get too close to the leg, it can mat the hair down and get really messy.  Practice at home once if you can, it makes a big difference.

Clubcalfshowgirl

thank you, its almost my christmas break so i have to see if i can find some crimson red and play around with it, as his final show is jan. 17th
thanks

shortyjock89 said:
Use tail glue after using primetime. Comb both adhesives in alot, it will make the leg look really full. Then, I spray on a light coat of tail glue again. Key word there is LIGHT. Then it's Ultra White to build, then Crimson is what I use. You have to keep the can pretty far from the leg (I would say like a foot or more) Use light coats just keep adding until it matches up. The main thing with Crimson paint is that if you get too close to the leg, it can mat the hair down and get really messy.  Practice at home once if you can, it makes a big difference.

shortyjock89

Good Luck..don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't look professional the first time. I think the most imporant part of building legs is combing the leg hair enough before you add the paint so that it looks natural. If you have a hard time covering up the white paint with Crimson without using alot of the crimson, I would use Auburn or Brown after white, as I find them much easier to cover up than the white.  Have fun and hopefully your hard work will all pay off at his last show. Keep us updated and maybe get some pics of your fit job at home and maybe we could help you out further if you want it. 
SJ89

Clubcalfshowgirl

thanks, ya i sat out there one night and played with him for awhile and i just laughed at what i did as they were all to bright. ya i'm hoping my hard work and everything will work out as hes an awesome calf!! If i had better pictures i would post some from last weekend of our show which he won his class. ya i'll take pictures of my mess or if it turns out good.

shortyjock89 said:
Good Luck..don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't look professional the first time. I think the most imporant part of building legs is combing the leg hair enough before you add the paint so that it looks natural. If you have a hard time covering up the white paint with Crimson without using alot of the crimson, I would use Auburn or Brown after white, as I find them much easier to cover up than the white.  Have fun and hopefully your hard work will all pay off at his last show. Keep us updated and maybe get some pics of your fit job at home and maybe we could help you out further if you want it. 
SJ89

DLD

Bigger beauty supply stores  used to have "Streaks and Tips" in spray cans in many different shades. Don't know if you can find 'em these days, or if they even still make it like they used to, but once upon a time we could match most any Shorthorn or Hereford red, pretty darn close anyway. It might be worth checking into.

red

We took some hair samples into our local paint store & had them match the sample to spray paint cans. It worked really well on finding the right color for my big red cow.

Red