What do y'all think of this mating?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mainevent

MAB x shorthorn bred to CMAC Mason? Think the chances of a semi herf marked calf aren't out of the question!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 228

OH Breeder

First- I am not familiar with Hereford EPD's but 3.8 BW on the bull? CE .7? What is the breeding on the shorthorn side of the female? I bred a Jazz son to a Jazz daughter and had a super hard pull calf, super stout. 90's bw when I analized the Dam's pedigree there was a TON of birthweight on her mothers side. Surprise it showed up. Good thing it was second calf cow.
I would analize the heifers pedigree little harder and look at both sides of her. I just hate c-sections on heifers. We are super caution with heifers. Your animal and your choice. I would just do lots more research on all sides of genetics. Drop an email to the owners of the bull. I have had some great conversations with bull owners. The Limestone people were awesome to talk with. Very honest and gave great information on their bulls what worked what didn't.

Mainevent

She's a MAB x Bloomer/ Cash. She's wide and long from her hooks to her pins which is the main thing I look at. And I don't feed very hard. I've had heat waves out of first calf heifers although is didn't breed the heifer that way. By the time I'd purchased the heifer she was bred too far along. As well as larger limousin bred on heifers and haven't had to pull one in a while. The last calf I've had to pull was an Ali x sandman on an ice pick. Only cause the cow was too fat.

OH Breeder

Your saying she is bred this way already? I have had my heifers pelvic measured. My heifers this year project 89# range. I used calving ease bull. I have fed protein blocks and fed grain and fed nothing but hay. Where we are, it tends to be the summer/fall pastures and our winter temps that contribute to birthweights. The worst birthweights when I fed protien tubs and grass mix hay. We only feed hay now unless we have one that gets pushed back and we will supplement them small amounts off to themselves. I have one cow that is consistently fat year round, no one knows when she calves because she looks the same befroe and after. Just a knee jerk response to the mating due to past experience. But you know your herd management practices and what you are comfortable with. You ask what we thought of the mating-just wouldn't be my first pick for this gal.
Never heard of "bloomer" and not sure which cash you are talking about. There is a Cash clubby x shorthorn bred. Carnac son-hope not that Cash. Bloomer I would have to dig deeper.

Mainevent

I know I wasn't trying to sound upset with y'all's opinions I value them I was just trying to elaborate on my management practices and the success rate with heifer breeding. I think it's k-Kim cash the shorthorn. I feel comfortable breeding her this way, I'm unsure on bloomer myself.

OH Breeder

Mainevent said:
I know I wasn't trying to sound upset with y'all's opinions I value them I was just trying to elaborate on my management practices and the success rate with heifer breeding. I think it's k-Kim cash the shorthorn. I feel comfortable breeding her this way, I'm unsure on bloomer myself.

No offense taken at all. I always worry when a club bull is thrown in the mix. It throws consistency out the window.

Warrior10

Is she THC or THF?

If THF, how about Carpe Diem? I've used him on heifers before and I've heard of quite a few southern guys doing it. I would guess it'd give you a shorthorn looking calf. But if she's THC this suggestion is no good.