What do you call this....

Help Support Steer Planet:

dori36

Hay wagon, Michigan.  Of course, under the right circumstances, it can morph into a base for a float for the local high school homecoming parade!

lynle1234

Hay wagon- Indiana.

just curious, why would it be a rack? 

I could see it being called a trailer too.

red

very nice hay wagon.
ours aren't so nice, can also be used for piling scrap material.

Red in Oh-io

M Bar

One word at our house.......work.  Since the "hay rack" doesn't have anything on it, it should definitely be called work since it's MTY.  When full of hay, it is called "damn thing".  Used in a sentence, it would be "get that damn thing to the barn before it rains".  While in the barn, or next to the barn, it's appropriate name is "ahh, crud".  This term only applies when you are in the loft of the barn.  "ahh, crud, there's another full one".  Once it is MTY, and it's use is over, it is called, "hot diggity".  For example "hot diggity, the damn thing is MTY". 

Davis Shorthorns

lynle1234 said:
Hay wagon- Indiana.

just curious, why would it be a rack? 

I could see it being called a trailer too.

I dont think that is is a trailer because the axles are spaced at the opposite ends and the front axle turns.  Trailers usually have either only one axle or 2 and they are placed next to each other towards the back of the trailer and none of the axles move (unless broken ;) ) Hope that helps a bit. 

P.S. hay wagon  KS.

Chap

rack, hay rack or flat rack in IA. i have also seen it called an uncontrollable projectile when not properly secured and left on a sidehill loaded with hay.

dori36

M Bar said:
One word at our house.......work.   Since the "hay rack" doesn't have anything on it, it should definitely be called work since it's MTY.  When full of hay, it is called "damn thing".  Used in a sentence, it would be "get that damn thing to the barn before it rains".  While in the barn, or next to the barn, it's appropriate name is "ahh, crud".  This term only applies when you are in the loft of the barn.  "ahh, crud, there's another full one".  Once it is MTY, and it's use is over, it is called, "hot diggity".  For example "hot diggity, the damn thing is MTY". 

I like your names for it best of all!  I'd only add that in my hay unloading days, I'd add the "s---, gotta unload the damn thing"!! to the names!

kanshow

How many on here can back one up with ease & into the right place in ONE try??

common sense

kanshow said:

I CAN!  One try, with ease!!  I circle, unhook the "damn thing", grab the tongue and give her a push.  Much easier when the damn thing is MTY though!  LOL!!! 

FYI:  That rack looks like it's n.b.u (never been used).  Hope the proud owner/refinisher remembered to put the "chains" back on underneath it.  Some of those old flat racks had a bed that would tip backwards...hence the safety chains.  Never could figure that one out...well, maybe the hard way!

red

Juli N a/k/a common sense said:
kanshow said:

I CAN!  One try, with ease!!  I circle, unhook the "damn thing", grab the tongue and give her a push.  Much easier when the damn thing is MTY though!  LOL!!! 

FYI:  That rack looks like it's n.b.u (never been used).  Hope the proud owner/refinisher remembered to put the "chains" back on underneath it.  Some of those old flat racks had a bed that would tip backwards...hence the safety chains.  Never could figure that one out...well, maybe the hard way!

you sound like me when I worked for a seed company & had to haul around a weigh wagon for test plots!

Red

yousesteers

In MO it is a hayrack and where do you want it put with the truck or tractor may take to trys if gotta go around a corner it could also be a base for a float, a wagon or a lot of other unmentionable depending on its current status

CPL

red said:
very nice hay wagon.
ours aren't so nice, can also be used for piling scrap material.

red, I wish ours were this nice! actually got the picture off of google.

inthebarnagain

Hay wagon, Indiana.

A funny story, I read the one post where the person said some of them used to tilt up.  A friend of ours was telling us a few years back his mom used to drive the baler while he stacked on the wagon.  Well apparently he got to critiquing her driving and he had the wagon about a third stacked, from the back of course.  She popped the clutch and threw him and the hay off the wagon when the bed flipped up.  Needless to say her driving was NOT criticized after that.  The funny thing is, he was in his 40's at the time and her in her 70's.  She died a few years back and I can still remember driving by while they were baling hay, her always smiling in her "go to hell" hat and him stacking hay.