What do you charge or pay for fitting?

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

Never met RW in person, but he seems like the kind of guy I want to work with in the future....

shortyjock89

husker1 said:
Never met RW in person, but he seems like the kind of guy I want to work with in the future....

Same here. I don't think I'm great my any means, and an experienced fitter like him would be a great mentor.  I do think that I'm a little more "old school" in my approach though. When I do to shows with a specific operation, I take those calves in as if they were my own. I think I just do a much better job when I have a day or two to evaluate the cattle and see what I can do to them to get them 12 o'clock for that show.  I also start before my employers get to the show, and stay until everything is picked up and clean back at the stalls. 

Just to let everyone know, I've not yet been hired for the American Royal, and I'll be available to work on any cattle at NAILE other than Shorthorns (and I still might be able to fit one or two of those in).  I believe that I could give some solid references, so if anyone needs help, don't be afraid to ask.

shortyjock89

HAB said:
OFS- you gonna be in Denver around the 16-17 of Jan. 2011 ???

I'll be there with Lowlines and then Shorthorns. I'm not sure of the dates then, but I'm sure I could make an appearance.  ;D

BCCC

I don't do it for the money, I do it because I love doing it, and love meeting new people and talking cattle. I normally charge $50 a calf clipping, $50 fitting(less if just pulling the legs up) $80 for both  For all day work I charge $150, but I'll pay for my food, and my motel. I'll be there nright and early in the a.m to bring cattle in, rinse, feed, blow, clip, fit, break down, tie outs, set up and tear down. My prices vary, if the cattle are easy to work with, and have seen a halter before the show, I don't mind getting less, because at the end of the day I'm not near as worn out! I also don't take a stereo for multiple reason A. Its annoying when trying to talk B. Its not professional C. I like talking to myself more  D. I'm hard at hearing(even when talking to myself) ;D

DCC show cattle

Im not great by any means myself i usually work for a family and fit for around $100 on however many cattle they bring and when i say around it depends on how much the mom wants to pay depending on how they look (im the same on not doing this for money but for the love of it and trying to learn more and more) Ill be working at Saddle and Sirloin if anyone needs anything not sure how my time looks but I can find someone to help if im not able too

ROAD WARRIOR

Maybe I should clarify myself a little. When I talk about working for someone else, I am primarily talking about seedstock breeders, not show steers. The seedstock business is where I started out and generally aim to stay. I really try to stay out of the junior barn if at all possible. If I fit a steer for someone, you can bet that there is a pretty good chance they will be one of the pallbearers at my funeral. I grew up in the era of big strings, 3 or 4 of us would take 12 to 18 head and do it all. We did not spend hours on one head because we didn't have that luxery and we made sure that most of the work was done well in advance of show day. I survived the days of building legs with 3M, cutting horse hair and black leaf 40. Truthfully I use far less "commercial" product today than ever before. I still believe that if you want to be respected, you have to look and act the part. RW

wowcows

Yeah, RW! Those were the days of taking 4-6 at one time to tie outs or else make several trips. Don't get to thinking you are the only old schooler on here now. I will never forget sleeping in the barns yet in KC. I would always pick where the big heifers were. Always warmer and lesser pee spots! How many kids would you get to do that thru what? up to KC, 16-18 shows?

chambero

I used more than my share of Blackleaf 40 in the day.

Honestly, of you are doing more than one calf $100 a day is selling yourself short if you are doing it as a service not as a friend or s calf you sold.  It's apples and oranges, but we pay $150 a day just for cowboys working calves - whether a day is 4 hours or 10. 

DCC show cattle

Chambero thats a pretty good comparison and i appreciate you sharing that. Most the people i help have either bought from us or are friends due to the fact that i dont think im good enough to go off without some more confidence built up, in saying that if we sell a calf i will fit him as a service as long as products are provided such as paint and glue...etc.

Aussie

aj said:
For me its 5$ aday. All I can drink(blue goose vodka...1 half gallon aday). I prefer to work naked and without my parole officer looking over my shoulder. However paramedic and ambulance costs must be covered! I like to have "outlaw country" blasting at all times (specially when mo jo Nixon is on). I prefer to lay under cattle instead of kneeling all the time. My nickname is hachet rachet. <beer>
I did not know you were in Australia you are the guy I am next to a every show going to bed as I get up every morning

Show Heifer

Lots of people apparently for hire on here, so I will give a different perspective.
I have worked/hired lots of "professionals" who sounded great. "I will be the first one there, last one in bed, and will always be doing something to improve your cattle..." and most of the time, they were crap. Never in the wash rack, never held a pitch fork, and never put up or tore down stalls. They were ALL good at lifting 16 oz cups of beer and apparently good at "thumping the walls", which in turn, made them show up at about 9 am the next morning. One even pulled a "fast one" and got "fred" to agree to give him anything over $5000 on a very good heifer that was to sell the next day. (He did that after getting "fred" very very very drunk.)  Turned out the heifer brought $8500.
One thought his only job was to coat the entire alley with tobacco spit. That was nice. nice. (sarcastic).
To say the least, I have not had good experience with "professionals".

Most of the time, the people who will work for you the best are friends. First off, they enjoy seeing their friends succeed. Second, they know YOU know where they live! and Third, it is more fun working with or watching friends!  Fourth, what can be more fun than succeeding with friends there to help you enjoy?! It is the BEST.
I try and pay for expenses, pay for labor, etc, but many times,  they just melt away into the background and poof, they are gone. True friends!

DCC show cattle

Show Heifer I like the honesty haha its great if your ever around central texas and need help let me know ill try my best for ya

BABYTEX

Is any of you fitters out there going to be at the Minnesota State Fair?  JT Webers will be clipping and fitting a heifer we purchased through them for the Summer Yearling class 4-H division but we are looking possibly for someone to clip and prospect calf as we would like to get a good picture of him by the banner whether he wins anything or not as we may attempt to sell him at the MN Beef Expo in October.  He is a Dirty Hairy calf out of a Texas Hold'em cow.  A little small but I think he will make a nice hairy steer for someone down the road.  Oh, forgot to mention Olson Family Shorthorns do a great job.  They presented a fitting clinic for us in Fergus Falls, MN along with Robert Totten and thought they did an awesome job.  Several great comments were made.

CPcattle

Show Heifer you make a good point, friends are truly the best fitters because the do want you to do the best you can and, you know you can trust them (which will take some stress from showday too!).From expierince dont let any beer on showday never let a drunken man with a pair of clippers even near your calf, it'll cost ya! Since we only let our good friend clip our calves we ussually dont pay him but get even with him late, like last year we took him with us on our yearly "Cattle Drive" when searchin for this years calves, so we end up even with him for the outstanding job he always does for the most part!

ZNT

There are a lot of fitter/ hired help out there that do a great job, and there are an equal number that just blow a lot of smoke.  If you need to hire someone, word of mouth is your best indicator of a person's worth.  I have done my fair share of work for other people, and now, with increasing obligations, I am doing my fair share of hiring.  I have a couple of guys that help me out, and they have not only done a great job on the cattle, they also have conducted themselves very professionally when customers come around, and they are very patient and respectful of my family.  That being said, they have first shot at any work that i need.  Keep the good ones, pay them a fair wage, plus a little extra, provide them with a nice meal here and there, and provide preferred beverages as desired.  I know it means something to me that Chambero's wife makes sure there is some cold Diet Dr. Pepper whenever I come over to visit or work.  

Pay wise, when I work for others, I am not the cheapest, nor am I the most expensive.  I typically charge $150 per head to clip and groom a calf for a show, more if I have to travel extra. For the most part my services are free if the calf was purchased from me.  Outside of the showring, I know my fees can get a little expensive.  It can range from $300-600 per day depending on the type of work, number of head, and amount of travel.  Time is money, both for myself, and the people that I have worked for.  If a client of mine is spending his day, and maybe the day of 2 or 3 of his help, it is worth it to them to get the job done well and quickly.  If I can do a job in half the time of someone else, then my price that is 3 times higher can still be a huge savings to them.

For all those that do fitting, or any kind of work for someone else, here is my advice.  First - always be on time or early.  Two - keep your word. And Three - do your job well.  It's amazing how hard it is for some/most people to do all three.

thebulllady

For those of you that answered this post.  We're planning on showing open Simmentals at Fort Worth and Houston this coming fall.  If anyone is interested in fitting between 3 to 7 head, please send me a PM.  Based on the opinions that were posted, I only need someone for show day.  I'm going to get the cattle clipped prior to the show, and I'll do the feeding, tieing out etc.

Let me know what you expect, and charge! 

Latest posts