What do you guys think of this heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

hsShowCattle

Looking for opinions on this heifer. Not sure if she is worth showing. She is a March heifer out of Brilliance and a Monopoly/Irish Whisky heifer.

Attachments

• IMG_20131012_173725_876.jpg
    IMG_20131012_173725_876.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211

hsShowCattle

She is pretty feminine and has a very clean front but not much power to her.

Attachments

• IMG_20131026_215029.jpg
    IMG_20131026_215029.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 140

BTDT

Power is over rated in heifers.
Show her and be proud. She is a nice heifer.

hsShowCattle

shortii said:
Very nice heifer (clapping)
[/quote
Thank you. I was considering trying to sell her as my daughter already has a steer and two heifers to show this upcoming show season. But can't decide. I'm thinking she should make a good momma cow being out of an Angus and her dam did a pretty good job. She is out of a first calf heifer.

cowboy_nyk

I agree with the comments above.  She looks really good.  Females don't need to be "powerful."  In my opinion they need to be deep, correct, feminine, and soft made.  She has those traits.  Show her.  I would.

Davidsonranch

hsShowCattle,
How is her disposition.  A good friend used Brilliance on a bunch of heifers last season and a big majority of the calves turned out to be pretty awnry?  I like him a lot but worried about attitude?  Just curious.  And by the way, I think she looks great. 

mark tenenbaum

Really GOOD 1st calf-if you dont want to show her-there must be some barnburners in the pen. She showa alot of good qualities for her age-performance-and looks like a pretty correct FEMALE-me like-like to see a blue roan out of one like her O0

hsShowCattle

Davidsonranch said:
hsShowCattle,
How is her disposition.  A good friend used Brilliance on a bunch of heifers last season and a big majority of the calves turned out to be pretty awnry?  I like him a lot but worried about attitude?  Just curious.  And by the way, I think she looks great.
Honestly she is a bit of a brat.  I am guessing this is from the sire being her dam let's my daughter crawl all over her. We actually have pictures of my daughter sitting on her like a horse. The calf is stubborn and likes to "frog hop".  My daughter who is 14 is very patient and can hold her own when it comes to working with her though. I think with a little time she will get over it.she however is not mean just stubborn.

cowboy_nyk

Brilliance's dam is a S A V 8180 TRAVELER 004 so docility will be an issue.  Notice the Docility EPD of 3.  Not good.  I have had more than my share of experience with 8180 descendants.  We have ~40 Net worth daughters at home.  Calving season can get interesting.

AAOK

As a breeding heifer, this little gal pictured is better than 80% I have seen on SP in the past couple of years. As has already been mentioned, if you have better heifers, don't skip the National Shows!

hsShowCattle

AAOK said:
As a breeding heifer, this little gal pictured is better than 80% I have seen on SP in the past couple of years. As has already been mentioned, if you have better heifers, don't skip the National Shows!

Thank you!  She is the first show prospect we have raised.  My daughter showed her and her dam as cow/calf and did well. The calf has developed a ton since mid August.