What do you say?

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

We haul things in our pick ups and I have a buddy in Florida that carries it

He calls up and tell me that he carried his dog to the pasture and worked cows .... I like to joke and tell him that I sold him a dog with 4 legs and he ought to be able to walk!

amss101

Pick corn and beans..cut then put up hay, water out of a tank and feed in a tub..drink pop, use tissue, tell which color sharpie we want, hook up not hitch our trailer..and out of the mouth of my baby--these were funny (just not at the time)  shop at the big O -which turned out to be Target when we finally figured it out, and would cry to go out and eat--even though we were eating out--turned out to be a local restaurant that she thought "out and eat" was its name

harley

Found out my first year of college that not everyone has cricks or loyers.  Always went to get a "coke", ate dinner at noon and supper at 5!  Mom made casseroles for supper, and sometimes to haul to the field in the pick up instead of sandwiches. Always took ice tea to drink and had never heard of sweet tea until I was grown.  Dad cut wheat and swathed hay.  When he baled hay, it was tied with wire, hadn't baled with twine since before I was born.  Filled the stock tank with the water hose, and the good Lord filled the ponds with rain.  (the water ran down the crick into the pond)  When the rain ran off the road, it went down the bar ditch and through whistles or culverts.  And we always said "would you like to go with me" or "can I go with you"..... NEVER "can I go with" or "would you like to go with"!!!    My Illinois cousins would come to visit for the summer and always wanted to "go with"... drove me nuts.  (lol)

Dusty

If you ever want to win the arguement about whether the evening meal is referred to as dinner or supper just tell the person when was the last time you heard of Jesus and the last "dinner", no it was Jesus and the last supper!

dutch pride

Dinner / Supper debate;  It was explained to me that when the US was more of an agricultural based work force that the biggest meal of the day was at noon. That is when they had the meat and potatoes meal and had a lighter meal in the evening. Later as the work force moved to more off the farm/home, the meat and potatoes meal moved to the evening meal.  As a side note, I think that this has been a contributing factor to weight gains/obesity. eating a bigger meal later in the day without time to burn those calories off will allow them to be transferred to fat. No studies, just my opinion.

DLZ

kanshow

I've got a friend who brings her kids places, while I take mine places. 

We even set our clocks by dinnertime (12 noon) and suppertime. 

vet tech

WE say pop, supper, crik, warsh. And my grandparents always called the couch a davenport and the little piece of furniture that you put your feet up on in front of a chair a hassock. We used to pick corn and now we shell it. we say combine wheat and oats and barley. IWhen I was growing up the farm kids around here always called the "sections" of hay in a bale different things. WE said sections they would say slabs or flakes.  How about baler twine, binder twine. 

red

ah yes, hot dish!
Another fun topic would be regional dishes. We saw how different areas made chili.

Sweet tea is one of those. I can't stand mine sweetened but that's all you get in the south.

Red

kanshow

twine is what goes on a bale - sisal or plastic.  Anything else is string.    Balin wire  & Duck Tape  are what holds everything together.    We have bob wire fence. 

Chili around here has beans & beef. 

We have a house divided on sweet tea..  DH thinks that is the way tea should be served, I do not. 

red

here some people say green peppers while others call them mangos

My sister in law uses the term nubby to say a child is cute. Never heard of that before. she however has never heard the term frumpy to describe someone that just dresses older than they are.

Red

kanshow

I have a friend in Boston who's daughters nickname is TT.  Well..  you know what that means down south..

Rocky Hill Simmental

I've seriously never traveled much. When I was in high school I went to girls state and my room mate was from northwest Missouri and I'm from southeast Missouri. She kept talking about the "union" all week and I had no idea what she was talking about but I was trying to be nice so I didn't ask until one day she told me to met her in the union so I finally had to ask her what a union was.. I always called when cafeterias. I never heard of a "union" before that.  ???

She laughed at me when I said "soda" too. She called them "pop." Around here if you said pop, half the people wouldn't even know what you were talking about.  :D

Also while I was there, everytime I'd tell someone I was from southeast Missouri, they'd tell me they could tell because I had such a strong southern drawl. That was the only time I was ever told that before.  :D

txshowlamb

Well here in Texas you say Yall which means you all and we say soda not pop youngins what my dad uses to call us kids and teens lol.....warsh for me not wash oh crayons i never say that right i say crowns i guess its because of my accent it sounds weird..

aj

In the horsedrawn days wasn't corn picked by hand...and then stored as whole ears in a corn crib. Maybe a shelling machine was used to de-kernal the corn. In the corn shucking contest's the whole ear is ripped-cut loose of the stalk and the shuck is left on the stalk somehow?

itk

We need some of the canucks to chime in. When I had all my canuck roomates in college there were to many different names of items to remember. Some of my favorites were instead of going to the strip club they went to the peelers. Almost all brown liquor was called rye. A six pack was called a snack pack and they also had different names for cases and so on. Most of the furniture also had different names but I can't remember them now. And bars were called "not as cool as the Swamp." ;D(JIT you know what I'm talking about)

justintime

Well of course I do itk..... Canucks have several different names for many things. What many call a sofa or couch... many here will call a chesterfield. Strip clubs are affectionally called " peeler parlours" Few Canucks will touch a bourbon but were weaned onto Rye whiskey. Crown Royal or Canadian Club are Nationally recognized names. The Swamp is an internationally famous bar that is only open for 1 week of the year. It has not seen paint or any new furniture in 35 years and every time someone suggests that the Swamp should be cleaned up and broughy into the 21st century, there is almost a mutiny. The Swamp is more an atmosphere than an exact place.

Bawndoh

dutch pride said:
I grew up with the noon meal called "dinner" and the evening meal called "supper". I think most people call noon meal "lunch" and evening meal 'dinner"

DLZ

We call it dinner and supper too.  I get razzed for this all the time in other provinces.  Makes me so mad...I can call it whatever the heck I want right?  Plus, my dad says they call it supper in the Bible (aka. "the last supper"), so I figure were right.  lol.

Cattle Fan

Runnin Beans-Wheat, Shellin Corn, Makin Hay, Workin Cattle, Cows are drinkin out of the crick, Woods insted of forest, hollar instead of valley, Pop or coke not soda, Show Calves not Club Calves

worthabit

I was in Ireland in 2007 and someone said they were cooking a "joint" for Sunday supper.....  We all looked at each other and kind of laughed especially when she explained that is what they call roasts!

Latest posts