What do you think of this ration???

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

oats average 10% protein, 10% fiber and are in the higher range for cereal grains for fat

if you are looking for fiber or filler they may have soybean pellets in your area - they are basically the hulls with a little bit of meal and fat - they are not expensive here

I agree with chambero - if you are paying more for you mixed feed than bagged show feed something is rotten in Denmark

are you anywhere near a U with an extension service? they should be able to help with the ration

ba

Sent pm feed per ton cost around320. Corn around7% protein 8-9 times out of10.Have corn tested and you will be suprised
They claim 12% proein on oats but vary on source like anything else

SlickTxMaine

Okay, final cost per hundred is $16., and bagged complete feed is $22., so will be saving $5. per hundred.  Do you all think this is still too high? 

ba

I do not know if you can get much cheaper and get the job you are looking for .
Start out with 500-100 pounds to see how you get along start slow and be
ready to make changes when needed.

chambero

SlickTxMaine said:
Okay, final cost per hundred is $16., and bagged complete feed is $22., so will be saving $5. per hundred.  Do you all think this is still too high? 

Ours is in the low $300 per ton.  Acco and HiPro in our area are over $500 per ton I believe.

SlickTxMaine

chambero said:
SlickTxMaine said:

Ours is in the low $300 per ton.  Acco and HiPro in our area are over $500 per ton I believe.

This will run $320. a ton, so right in line with you.  For some reason this mill's price on beet pulp is high.  Last year we ended up buying our beet pulp from another feed store in town for $4.00 less per bag.  The first price I was quoted was using beet pulp in the mix, this lower price is using cotton seed hulls.  I picked up 600# yesterday, and it looked good.  They added alfalfa pellets, which I had not included in the ration.  Not sure about the plusses or minuses of that.  We'll give it a try and see how it works.  THanks again for everyone's help!

Chap34

I would hate to comment on your ration because there are several variables that a person needs to consider(availability of feed stuffs in area, price of feed stuffs, steer or heifer ration, ADG goals and so on).  With that being said I mix my own feed in 1 ton batches and have had good luck finishing show steers with the following ration.  I have received help from a nutritionist, ration computer program, and a feed testing lab in putting this together with feed stuffs that are available in my area at an affordable price. I will also change this ration here and there for a specific animal depending on our target ADG.  This ration costs us less than $300/ton.  Hope this might help.

50% steam rolled corn (real steam rolled, almost looks like corn flakes)
10% steam rolled barley
10% steam rolled oats
5% molasses
5% beet pulp pellets
20% Purina Grand 4T-Fyer, high protein concentrate
Rumensin 

The Show

They added alfalfa pellets, which I had not included in the ration.  Not sure about the plusses or minuses of that.  We'll give it a try and see how it works.  THanks again for everyone's help.
Alfalfa is high in protein. I know feeding alfalfa hay you have to be easy with it bc it'll make them bloat pretty easy. I prefer hay over the pellet though. Most cattle will eat it good at shows when they don't want to eat their feed and it's a pretty good filler.

Show Heifer

A lot of good suggestions so far. I might add, you can figure a rough ration out on your own by using the "cheaters square". It is simply to use and can at least give you an idea if your on the right track. You balance one value at a time, so very basic. It allows you to keep your feed man honest!
Let me know if your interested in learning it!

Balancing a ration is tricky. So much depends on if you have used creep feed, what your goals are for the calves, what your target date is, what type of cattle your feeding, environment, etc.

Good luck!

PLKR

Chap34 said:
I would hate to comment on your ration because there are several variables that a person needs to consider(availability of feed stuffs in area, price of feed stuffs, steer or heifer ration, ADG goals and so on).  With that being said I mix my own feed in 1 ton batches and have had good luck finishing show steers with the following ration.  I have received help from a nutritionist, ration computer program, and a feed testing lab in putting this together with feed stuffs that are available in my area at an affordable price. I will also change this ration here and there for a specific animal depending on our target ADG.   This ration costs us less than $300/ton.  Hope this might help.

50% steam rolled corn (real steam rolled, almost looks like corn flakes)
10% steam rolled barley
10% steam rolled oats
5% molasses
5% beet pulp pellets
20% Purina Grand 4T-Fyer, high protein concentrate
Rumensin 
What is your cost per cwt. for the steam rolled corn, barley and oats? Do you have it available in bulk? Our only choice on any of the steam rolled grains is bagged, so we couldn't mix that for close to $300 per ton--wish we could!

Chap34

PLKR,  I buy all the products in bulk.  Prices on grain products depends on market but rolled corn right now is around $170.00/ton, rolled barley and oats are around $225/ton.  Our ration costs around $14/cwt.  Thanks

PLKR

Chap34 said:
PLKR,  I buy all the products in bulk.  Prices on grain products depends on market but rolled corn right now is around $170.00/ton, rolled barley and oats are around $225/ton.  Our ration costs around $14/cwt.  Thanks
I figured you had to have access to those products in bulk....where are you located--I might have to send a semi your way!  ;D