What do you think of this

Help Support Steer Planet:

BTDT

I have noticed a fair amount of exhibitors playing a "game" with their show results.
I have heard and read where "This heifer placed 2nd in class", when in fact there was only 2 in the class.  Or "Division Winner" when there was only one head in that division.  Or "Champion at XYZ show" when they were they only one exhibiting in that breed.

While those statements maybe true at face value, how many think they are misleading and misrepresenting the real truth?  Is it "fair"?  Is it false advertising?

caldanmc

My thoughts on this are as follows:  If you haul to a show, only to find out that you are the only one entered in that division, class, etc. and the show gives awards for said class or division, and the judge believes that your calf, hog, lamb, or whatever is worthy of receiving that award, then you earned it.  It is not your fault that no one else showed up to compete in that class or division.  When I was showing, I hauled a really good Limi steer to a show that was about 5 hours from home.  I got there, and they had breed divisions.  The limi division consisted of 3 head...I won, and was proud to have done so.  My buddy just showed the intermediate champion bull in Denver...his bull was the only one in the division for that particular breed.  Did that take away from what he earned?  I don't think so.  The association is going to report his bull as the Intermediate Champion Bull, so why shouldn't he promote the bull as such? 

mccannfarms

I completely agree with caldanmc and skeeter20 it isn't your animals fault that it was put in that situation. Really would that animal be any better if it beat 20 head of animals that truly weren't good enough to be show animals, I don't think so... each animal should be judged on its own merits. If you are looking to purchase an interest in an animal you should look at that animal based upon its own qualities not just one judges opinion on a given day.

BTDT

I understand that it is not the exhibitors fault that there is no competition, but at cattle shows, the judge places the animals in order, so even if the second place animal is crap, it STILL places second and gets a red ribbon, but it doesn't neccesarily mean it deserves a second place recognition.  Maybe it would be more "real" to say "This calf placed 2nd in a class of 2", if there is no shame in no competition there should be no shame in admitting no competition.

I also totally agree that no one should be as silly or stupid to judge or purchase an animal based on one show placement.  It just seems like a bait and switch type tactic.

But if this is an accepted practice, I need to update my show resume!!! 

vc

If the animal is "cr2p" as you say, does it matter were it placed, you should not select animals by how they place in shows alone, just like you don't purchase animals based on their EPD's alone.
You take a 10,000 dollar steer to a small show and he beats a bunch of county fair steers, do you need to put an * by that show as well. They are not false advertising, they are not making false statements. I know out in my area allot of kids go the colored steer rout, because it is not as competitive. They get a division Champion that may have stood 6 or 7th in the Black division, is claiming Division Champ wrong?

bovine and equine

When I had some class winners for sale that was one of the first questions most potential customers asked "How many were in the class?"  Seems like a logical/simple question to ask if it is your concern. 

caldanmc

Most shows do have a final drive for bulls...not winning grand still should not take away from the fact that an individual was previously named a division champion.

shortyjock89

caldanmc said:
Most shows do have a final drive for bulls...not winning grand still should not take away from the fact that an individual was previously named a division champion.

Eh, not really.  None of the majors or regionals that I know of have a Supreme Bull, or female for that matter.  A lot of it is due to the cattle not being there all at the same time. 

obie105

Kansas city has a supreme drive for the jr. Show on the heifer side.

caldanmc

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
caldanmc said:

Eh, not really.  None of the majors or regionals that I know of have a Supreme Bull, or female for that matter.  A lot of it is due to the cattle not being there all at the same time. 

Sorry about my reply earlier...it was not intended to be thought as most shows having a supreme selection.  I was was simply replying to the post that stated that is why a show needs to have a final drive, and my thinking was a selection of grand bull or female of the breed.  I recognize that most shows do not select a supreme bull or female, but that should not take away from breed grands or breed division winners being selected as such.

DLD

A win is a win.  If you happen to know, or care enough to do a little research and find out how much competition there was, then you can certainly take that in consideration when you're evaluating how/if those cattle or their genetics will work for you.  But otherwise I think you've got to respect them for making the effort of getting them ready and getting them shown. 

And by the way, I haven't noticed any lately, but in the rules of many shows it used to state something like this - "In case of a single entry in a class or division, the judge may, at their discretion award the entry first, second or third prize based on it's merits".  I've heard stories, but I've never actually seen it used.

WJ Farms

Here is my opinion!!! Select cattle based on what you like......dont select them based on what a judge says about them!!! That calf could be class winner and the next day be last in class it is one guy opinion on any given day!!! And my thought is if you select your breeding stock by your standards and select them on what you think good ones are suppose to look like then who cares what anybody else thinks about them!!! Nobody opinions matter except for your on your own cows. Buy the kind of cattle you like and breed to the bulls you like and be happy!!!!

blackdiamond

DLD said:
A win is a win.  If you happen to know, or care enough to do a little research and find out how much competition there was, then you can certainly take that in consideration when you're evaluating how/if those cattle or their genetics will work for you.  But otherwise I think you've got to respect them for making the effort of getting them ready and getting them shown. 

And by the way, I haven't noticed any lately, but in the rules of many shows it used to state something like this - "In case of a single entry in a class or division, the judge may, at their discretion award the entry first, second or third prize based on it's merits".  I've heard stories, but I've never actually seen it used.

I have seen it done once, but more so as a joke. 

When I was little, we had a supply man deliver to the farm monthly- one trip our dog bit him- he was judging a show I was going to the next week, and I was to be the only exibitor at that show in our breed.  He told me, I'd not win a single class b/c of the dog biting him-- in good taste I might ad.  Ended up, he did make them give me a 2nd lace ribbon in one class as a joke- and  made a comment on the mic...  Course, I got paid as a winner, but didn't get the blue ribbon. 

DLD

blackdiamond said:
DLD said:

I have seen it done once, but more so as a joke. 

When I was little, we had a supply man deliver to the farm monthly- one trip our dog bit him- he was judging a show I was going to the next week, and I was to be the only exibitor at that show in our breed.  He told me, I'd not win a single class b/c of the dog biting him-- in good taste I might ad.  Ended up, he did make them give me a 2nd lace ribbon in one class as a joke- and  made a comment on the mic...  Course, I got paid as a winner, but didn't get the blue ribbon. 

Most of the stories I've heard about it being done were as joke's, too.  Don't think everyone involved will see the humor every time, though.

Latest posts