what do you think?

Help Support Steer Planet:

nosejob8807

yesterday was a nice sunny day so i decided to clip a calf, trying to get better. anyways.. my most problem is the neck & shoulder area. in the first picture i think i could of taken the neck down a bit further.. what do you think? and the shoulder i think i could of blended a bit more.. ? im still learning. also, sorry if the pics arent of good quality, heifer was moving around ALOT.. i hope these are the right sized pics.. i tried to resize them myself

Attachments

• 100_0699.jpg
    100_0699.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_0708[1].jpg
    100_0708[1].jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 331

minimoo38

not too bad if you had stopped in front of her shoulders. now there is too much of a definite line. you will have to bring all of the rest of her body hair down to that same level so she looks normal. otherwise it looks pretty good so far. you want the neck, and most of the rest of her body, to look like short wool, or just a fuzzy carpet.

are you going to have her dehorned? they look big.

nosejob8807

in front of the shoulder? i was always taught to bring it to where i stopped.. except blended a bit better. gosh this is confusing..

also, yeah im going to have her dehorned, however, no one will take her & i have no way of getting her there, so.. ya..&  they arent *that* big.

showsteerdlux

If you arent careful they will get big quick. You may want to see if you can get a vet to come and do it. The longer you wait the stronger they become and I have seen more than one calf ruint by having a late dehorning.

knabe

minimoo38 said:
with the line behind her shoulder, it enlongated her neck too much. just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

this is one of the most helpful observations on clipping ever on this site.

it would be great to see her reclipped with the two pics side by side.

this is a great illustration of how pieces can be moved.  got a short fronted heifer, move the line back a little, and vice versa.

the hard one for me is the hair on the udder.  i don't like too much of it because it hides the udder, but leaving it there levels them out if they are cut in the gut.

Latest posts