what do you think

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bryan

this is  my heifer born 2-18-2010 it is a Dirty Harry x Heatwave/Payoff dam. she is 62% Maine Anjou. what do you think of it? all comments are welcome good or bad...

she took reserve champion overall female in my counties junior fair show and and reserve champion crossbred female at my counties open show

Attachments

• result.jpg
    result.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 187

Sassy2899

She is not to bad of a heifer.  She could stand to have that back gut dropped down some more, a better set to her shoulder and a stronger top.

Bryan

thanks for the input. she just came in off of pasture about a week and a half ago and she is standing facing downhill in the photo

OH Breeder

I like her length of body she looks like she has plenty of length of spine. She seems pretty clean made. I would like to deepen her up and drop her flank. I also would like to level her out from her hooks to her pins. Nice replacement heifer.

vc

Ohio Breeder, are you a cattle judge, if not you should be, your reasons on the heifer were spot on and I could see what you were talking about on the heifer as I read your evaluation. I agree with your evaluation of the animal as well.

Bryan

also what do you think of this April heifer calf pictured in June. she is a Who Made Who x Registered Angus...

this one got second in its class at the junior show

Attachments

• calf  wmw resized.jpg
    calf wmw resized.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 419

DCB70

i would like to square her up a notch on that hind end and get that back nice and flat but other than that will make a good cow

twistedhshowstock

Top heifer looks really sound, and if she just came in off pasture she appears to be in pretty good condition.  I would like to drop that flank and give her some more guts throughout, level her up from hooks to pins, and its hard to tell with their head in the chute like that but maybe like to lay her back in that blade a little just to give more desirable slope to that shoulder and lengthen her up through that neck some.  But as was said before she is a super long spined, sound, big footed heifer, that seems to be plenty adequate in her power.
The bottom heifer is still young in that pic, but she looks to be a pretty stylish, long necked, clean fronted and feminine heifer that seems to have all the pieces.  Hard to tell for sure in the pic but she seems to be plenty thick and powerful and sound.  She is still green but that is to be expected at that age.
To drop that hind quarter get her on something like beet pulp or winning fill and make sure she is getting plenty of hay.  Things like beet pulp and forages take longer to break down in their stomach thus keeping them full longer and expanding the gut which will in turn make her look deeper.