What do you think?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Here is a CF Primo out of a Sabre x Primabella hfr. This is a April 16th bull that I haven't cut yet. It was her 1st calf. Been weaned a week today.

Attachments

• primo x sabre 1.jpg
    primo x sabre 1.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 813
  • primo x sabre 016.jpg
    primo x sabre 016.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 831
  • primo x sabre 015.jpg
    primo x sabre 015.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 796

BCCC

I like him!! He is a tad straight legged but he has a nice top line and great neck extension. He has good hair to!

SKF

I really like him. Are you going to leave him a bull?

Doc

BCCC said:
I like him!! He is a tad straight legged but he has a nice top line and great neck extension. He has good hair to!

He's not as straight as the picture shows, the pictures were taken as he headed up a slight incline.

justintime

Good lookin calf Doc.... he has great muscle expression , and has good length. His color is a concern I suspect... at least it would be here. I kept a bull two years ago that was the same color. I thought if he didn't sell, I would rail him ... however he sold to a commercial man who had never used a Shorthorn before. When he purchased him he was concerned about the white legs but eventually bought him because he felt he was the best bull in the pen ( and he was!) This spring, he came and purchased another bull and some purebred heifers after seeing the calves from the white socked bull. He said he never had a single calf with white legs and the calves were the best sire group ( he was using an Angus and a Charolais bull as well). Maybe he got lucky in regards to not getting white legged calves, but in any event, this buyer was very happy. Sometimes, I think we may get a little too concerned with color and not a concerned on over all quality.

With the muscle expression your calf shows, I think he will look amazing once he has been on feed for awhile... and he will look good as either a steer or as a bull. At first, I thought that he could be a little more masculine but seeing that he is only an April baby, he will probably develop more as he gets a little older

Doc

justintime said:
Good lookin calf Doc.... he has great muscle expression , and has good length. His color is a concern I suspect... at least it would be here. I kept a bull two years ago that was the same color. I thought if he didn't sell, I would rail him ... however he sold to a commercial man who had never used a Shorthorn before. When he purchased him he was concerned about the white legs but eventually bought him because he felt he was the best bull in the pen ( and he was!) This spring, he came and purchased another bull and some purebred heifers after seeing the calves from the white socked bull. He said he never had a single calf with white legs and the calves were the best sire group ( he was using an Angus and a Charolais bull as well). Maybe he got lucky in regards to not getting white legged calves, but in any event, this buyer was very happy. Sometimes, I think we may get a little too concerned with color and not a concerned on over all quality.

Yea, you can't ever tell on people with color. I had a pretty good bull calf one time that was wild colored & one that was solid red but better & had a commercial guy buy the wild colored one because he said he didn't use eartags & he wanted to be able to tell his calves apart. I geuss it's a southern thang. ;D

JoeBnTN

Good looking calf - have you tested him yet.  If he's a carrier it would make my choice REAL easy.

shortyjock89

Doc, wish I were closer, my step brother could use a steer like that for his first year, and I could show the heifer we got him  (lol).  What are you bringing to NAILE?

JoeBnTN

Doc said:
JoeBnTN said:
Good looking calf - have you tested him yet.  If he's a carrier it would make my choice REAL easy.
His momma is tested THF!! CF Primo is free also.

That's good news!  If I thought I could move him quickly I'd leave him a bull and let the new owner decide.  That way you can maximize your opportunity.  My only concern with leaving him a bull is that I ended up with him next spring and his color limited my selling options.  The only color I would worry about is green!!!

Doc

vet tech said:
nice calf ....but would like to see a rear picture. :)
Snapped these quick this afternoon.

Attachments

• bulls 9-14-08 004.jpg
    bulls 9-14-08 004.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 435
  • bulls 9-14-08 006.jpg
    bulls 9-14-08 006.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 427
  • bulls 9-14-08 009.jpg
    bulls 9-14-08 009.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 415

Doc

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Doc, wish I were closer, my step brother could use a steer like that for his first year, and I could show the heifer we got him  (lol).   What are you bringing to NAILE?

I'm just bringing the Bloodstone out of Lucky Charm 255TP. She's a March baby.

OH Breeder

Doc,
By the looks of his legs, he looks like he is going to have some size to him. I like his front end and he is clean about his neck and shoulder. Good lower quarter good bone and of course hairy. My minimal experience with Primo is they are a tick larger. personally, I would lean toward breeding bull verses steer calf. I am a fan of his coloring. I tihnk he is pretty cool.
Drop some shots of your Bloodstone when you have a chance. I think it is strange, but Bloodstone seems like he is throwing fancier calves than his brother Primo.

Doc

OH Breeder said:
Doc,
By the looks of his legs, he looks like he is going to have some size to him. I like his front end and he is clean about his neck and shoulder. Good lower quarter good bone and of course hairy. My minimal experience with Primo is they are a tick larger. personally, I would lean toward breeding bull verses steer calf. I am a fan of his coloring. I tihnk he is pretty cool.
Drop some shots of your Bloodstone when you have a chance. I think it is strange, but Bloodstone seems like he is throwing fancier calves than his brother Primo.

I'll try to get some shots of the Bloodstone hfr before too  long. As far as fancier, I don't know. You've got to remember that the Bloodstones everyone have been seeing are out of some of the breeds best cows & best feeding programs. Primo has seen a lot more limited use. You're really starting to see a few more out there now. I've had some people that have had both say they like the Primo's better. I think the Primo's are easier calving than Solution or Bloodstone no matter what the EPD's say. I like the Bloodstones better than the Solutions. My share of Primo has accomplished what I wanted which is 1) gave me those genetics, 2) given me some good calves, 3) made me money, 4) gave the farm some advertising exposure.

cattleking

nice steer/bull  (lol)
its real smooth and is very stout.
its also got some nice long hair
How old is he?

Ill post some pictures of an even wilder looking color this week so u can see what u think about him.