What do you use to clip a neck?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I am getting back into the clipping of the calves.I am not sure what blade to put on the Andis to clip the necks. A medium blade? Or listers with a coarse head? What works the best for you all. I use the x-block or super block for the rest of the body. Any ideas.

afhm

It just depends on the hair and the calf's ability to stand still.  I have used a 10, medium, blocking blades, 20tbc, 7112's and the torch.  Most often the blocking, 10 or medium and the torch.  On breeders world the answer you would get is clippers.

OH Breeder

thanks AFHM, I tried an Oster Heavy duty and it was too short. I have never worked with torch and would probably end up with a fire in the barn. But, thanks for suggestions on the other blades.

Breeders World has a lot of young smart ass, sorry, kids. I don't post on there or rarely. I appreciate your input.

ROAD WARRIOR

Alot of it depends on how far ahead of the show/sale you are working. I seldom use anything besides the X blocks as far as the Andis clippers go. 7112's in the sheepheads and maybe an occasional blocking comb. I like to torch out my front ends 2 to 3 weeks ahead of the show and then fine tune them the week before with the Andis.

xkrushx

They have a neck blade now that fits on andis called the 5/8ths blade. It works pretty amazing. We clipped out a lot of neck this past year with 0 knicks in them where we have put small knicks in them from using x-blocks or whatever other clippers we used on their necks before... It leaves the hair long enough to look good and fuzzy but short enough to slicken up their fronts. STRONGLY RECOMMEND!!!

Here is the link... http://www.sullivansupply.com/Iowa/detail.aspx?ID=12351

krush

TJ

I am not a pro, but I can do a pretty decent job with a torch.  If I can do it, anyone can!

Just make sure to get the cattle really clean, get them totally dry, DO NOT put anything in the hair & have someone with a brush in hand standing by to put out any flare ups & to brush out what you singed off.  When doing necks, I clip the face 1st, then I clip them real tight with 1 clipper pass from the chin down to the brisket... a medium or 7112 works good for this.  I then block the top of the neck & make it as straight as possible up to the top of the poll using a blocking blade.  After that I bob the tail switch (level with navel or back knee) & clip the tail/tail head like you normally would.   Then I light up the torch & go to work.  Just singe off a little bit at a time by placing the torch just close enough where it starts to singe the hair.  Also, keep it moving & don't hold it in one spot too long.  Use the torch to clip & blend.  Somebody else may have a simpler or quicker method, but what I do works good for me.  If you are just starting out & don't feel comfortable doing it, it might be a good idea to start out using a small propane bottle with a smaller flame until you get the hang of it.    

With all that said, I prefer cattle to be clipped with a set of clippers if they are going to a show... although I know people who have shown torched cattle.  But, I think that the torch is ideal for roughing one out as a quick & simple way to get them dolled up for pasture sales &/or pictures.

red

since I singe my own eyebrows buring trash I'd be very dangerous using a torch. It is neat watching someone who knows how to do.

Red

STEERJOCK21L

I agree the 5/8 blade works pretty good.Another blade that i like is The t-84.It has a beveled tip,so you can rake or back drag the hair.But just don't tear into it, let the clippers do the work.They work really good for shorter haired calves.

cowz

xkrushx said:
They have a neck blade now that fits on andis called the 5/8ths blade. It works pretty amazing. We clipped out a lot of neck this past year with 0 knicks in them where we have put small knicks in them from using x-blocks or whatever other clippers we used on their necks before... It leaves the hair long enough to look good and fuzzy but short enough to slicken up their fronts. STRONGLY RECOMMEND!!!

Here is the link... http://www.sullivansupply.com/Iowa/detail.aspx?ID=12351

krush

Welcome to SP, krush!

Hey OH breeder, these blades are the bomb.  They are as close to remedial blades as they come......They are very forgiving!  Get the ceramic ones if you can get them.  They stay a lot cooler.

OH Breeder

I think I will wait on the torch but I ordered the blades suggested. We will see....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP FOLKS!!! ;)

AAOK

OH Breeder said:
I am getting back into the clipping of the calves.I am not sure what blade to put on the Andis to clip the necks. A medium blade? Or listers with a coarse head? What works the best for you all. I use the x-block or super block for the rest of the body. Any ideas.

I always have strived to find the easiest way to do something without sacrificing superior results.  My method for clipping necks is great except for calves with very course shoulders.  I use the old, big Oster clippers with the Flat Head.  I start just above the nape of the neck, and shear down and slightly forward well in front of the shoulder, down to the brisket.  I leave some hair on the top of the nech near the poll to blend for a straight line.  I then start working up at the jaw to the ear. and on around the head.  All that's left is blending in the shoulders and top with the Sheepheads, or the Andies.  It's quick, eliminates gaps and gouges, and looks great in 2 -3 days. It will usually last about 3 weeks with just minor touch-up.