what does he like?

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

what kind of breeding and market heifers do Tyler Norvell from OK and Matt Lewis from CO like?? also which is judging what at the kansas beef expo? Thanks a lot

DLD

I think for Tyler more than anything else they'll have to be sound and complete, with some style and balance. He won't go to any extremes, just middle of the road, practical cattle with some showring presence. It's been awhile since I've watched Matt Lewis judge heifers, but I'd say he'll like them similiar, but might prefer them a notch bigger than Tyler.

aj

I think we need a judge that will use femine heifers and masculine bulls.What would happen if a judge would use a frame 5 heifer with a stayability number of plus 15, a perfect marbling, effiency, and tenderness dna score, and structurally sound?Just kidding, those guys will do a great job. I know if i tried to sort 300 head I would have a headache for a week. However if I tried to judge a show I would probably be beaten to a pulp before I could get to my getaway vehicle. It takes guts to judge a big show and not everybody is going to be happy!

red

It was interesting at the Lima, Ohio show when they had 2 different rings w/ a different judge in each. One judge seemed to like the more clubby & the other went for a more maternal look. We placed totally different w/ the one heifer. I think it did give the kids an opportunity to hear 2 different opinions too.

Red

char

you are exactly right red.....we actually did better placing on saturday....we were 3rd in both rings with our heifer...was good to know that the overall champ came out of our class....and on sunday we placed Reserve Chi and Champ Appendix shorthorn in Ring A and then in Ring B our chi was 5th in class and our appendix was 3rd....overall we were pleased...just had to remember 2 different judges and 2 different shows.....still loved that fact that heifers were done on Saturday and only steers on Sunday....i hope that more shows decide to do that.....

Char