What does it mean when the judge says your heifers are to course?

Help Support Steer Planet:

irh

Went to a show this weekend, our chi-maine heifer was third in class judge said she was to course.  She has a wide top, long necked, big hip nice looking heifer,  Also, showed a crossbred, she was told she was to course also, but a powerhouse.  The crossbred class was unreal 10 in the class.  I would have liked to have all the money that was spent in that class.  Just need a couple of thoughts on the course comments.

xxcc

Coarse.

I don't know what they are calling coarse in the show world, but in the commercial world, it is when animals lack smoothness, are "raw" boned and maybe even extensively boned, kind of a rugged looking animal.  Basically, to me, coarse means an animal lacks refinement...which is kind of funny, Bushy Park and Fred DeRouchey have a new bull they are calling Classic.  I'm not sure what possessed them to 'develop' him.  From the pictures, he is what I would use as an example of coarse, and really what the Maine-Anjou breed has been trying to get away from.

If I see the bull in person, I may change my opinion, but I doubt it.

rtmcc

xxcc said:
Coarse.

I don't know what they are calling coarse in the show world, but in the commercial world, it is when animals lack smoothness, are "raw" boned and maybe even extensively boned, kind of a rugged looking animal.  Basically, to me, coarse means an animal lacks refinement..
I agree with this.  Sometimes they are referring to the way that their shoulder is designed or lays into their neck and for rib.  In my mind some of the exotic heifers have gotten "too course" from a true breeding heifer stand point.  I like them as powerful and wide based as anybody.  But they still need to have an element of smooth femininity and true reproductive breeding heifer qualities.  I have not seen your heifer so please don't take this as picking on her.  Many of the heifers I see lately may have gone too far as far as power goes with out balancing it with some smoothness and femininity.  Thats  what they have market heifer classes for.
A steer is one thing  ...  they are not going to reproduce.  But a heifer is going to offer half of her design to that first calf that is going to be coming at you at 2:00 AM and if its course boned and shouldered and shaped like a Mack truck it may not be fun.  Great show heifers should be able to make great cows, on their own, not always via a recip.
Once again, I am sure not picking on your heifer, just some observations in general.  Seems as tho there are more judges starting to pick the females a little smoother and practical and cow designed.  Thats a great thing for the show cattle business if its going to have any longevity and self sustainability or connection with the commercial industry.
Ron
<cowboy>

Bradenh

That's right ..... Usually they mean they are piecey structured..... But from what I've seen 99% of the time the judges use it as an excuse

knabe

Show stopper 95 said:
piecey structured...

that has to be one of the most useful comments ever.  i went to the western bonanza at paso robles this weekend.  there was a lot of angus that were made like this.  the one that surfaced to the top and deserved it, the schnoor's showed.  i guess my only complaint about the cow was she was too massive making me wonder if she could walk the hills of california.

i will say there was a wisdom maine anjou calf that was nice and an older maine that was similar to the above angus both owned by the same people.  their fitters did an excellent job.  the maine show was way down in numbers this year.

irh

Sort thought it was just an excuss to put us in third place, because the second place heifer limped on her hind right foot,very narrow tracking, back looked like a roller coaster, oh! and did I mention a judges daughter.

Crappieman

What do you mean she was a judges daughter and what does that have to do with your heifer being coarse made.

irh

thankyou,  showstopper 95    You know some people it's way above their heads as to what is going on in the show ring.  Come to Ohio's Best program and play for a while, there is a monster lose in this program, fights and bloody nose's the whold nine yards.

Crappieman

I would like to say that the BEST program is exactly where I "play". I am not sure about a monster running loose but I do see a bunch of good cattle shown by kids that are equally as good for the most part. I would say the only monster I see at these shows are some of the parents and grand parents who do nothing but complain about getting beat because of who they are or who they are not. At the end of the day you are going to get beat many more times than you win in this deal and you need to be happy with the one you take home. <beer>

irh

We are very happy with our own animals, that we raise, we groom, and don't have a steer and heifer jock running in behind the animal in the ring.  We do everything the way the 4-h program was set up to be. thank-you very much!

WFCC

being course made is usually through the shoulder or back through the stifle.  Means they aren't smooth made and if its a heifer she could be a little bit steery.

irh

I'll give you that on our cross bred heifer, because we should've put her in the market heifer class.  But, we didn't want to have to go too both shows on different days.  It is getting to costly to do that for us.  Our bred heifer though,  we're not seeing the comment of too course.  I wish I could get a good picture of her to put on here, but at this point it is hard to get her out of the barn and set her up, without slipping on ice here in Ohio.  Maybe in a couple days, if this post is still going we'll try to get a couple of pic's of her up.