What % have to be for registered ShortyPlus and Charolais

Help Support Steer Planet:

Blue25

Ok, so I bought a half shorthorn and a half Charolais steer and was curious what percentage they have to be to be a registered Shorthorn Plus and a registered Charolais?

rtmcc

For Charolais the calf has to be at least 50% to be registered.  In the past it was required that one of the parents be a registered pure bred to make a percentage calf.  Now that they have started to register % bulls I suppose a 50% could be the result of two registered percentage parents.

Not sure on the Shorty deal but plenty of people on here that will be able to help you.

Just watched a pure bred Charolais calf be born on camera so better go out and check that all is ok.

Whats the pedigree on your calf?

Ron
<cowboy>

Mark H

A purebred Charolais is 31/32.  Anything less is recorded not registered in the herd book.
A female can be a 1/2 blood.  The lowest a recorded male percentage animal can be is 3/4.

HF CHARS

As long as both parents are recorded, as a char, and as a shorthorn, your should have no prob getting your steer dual registered.  Just recently, we started papering half blood bulls in the states in the charolais breed.  its a little tricky how it all works, when you breed a half blood to another half blood.  But papers are available.  Not sure where you are from, but I know some states require you to have Char steers papered , others don't.  I cvan tell you if you want to show him at charolais Junior nationals, you won't need papers, just needs to look kinda like a charolais.  Ask the breeder you purchased the steer from to get you papers. 

aandtcattle

To be registered as a shorthorn plus, the animal has to be at least 1/4 shorthorn and I beleive both parents must at least have a "CM" number. meaning even the non-shorthorn parent has to be on file with the association as a commercial animal and breed percentages must be set forth.  Call Gwen or Aaron at the ASA 402-393-7200, they are in charge of registrations and can set you in the right direction.