What if you think you can do better?

Help Support Steer Planet:

okiegirl

We are taking two nice steers to Tulsa.  It's a terminal show.  How do you pull one out of the sale if you think he didn't place well enough and go on to Kansas City with him?  Both steers are nominated for Tulsa and KC. 

DLD

I don't believe Tulsa gives you a choice.  I think you have to sell the one that ends up highest in sale order - it's been that way forever, unless it's changed recently.  If you have a pretty good idea of which one you want to take to Kansas City before you nominate, always put that one in a breed that shows later - then if your other steer makes the sale, you can scratch the second one and just not show him.  At OYE you can move from any breed to cross when you turn in your cards - I don't know if Tulsa allows this or not.  I doubt it, but it's worth checking into.  At this point there's not a whole lot else you can do.

Edit to add; Just checked the rules - It does say exhibitors must sell their highest ranking animal in sale order.

okiegirl

Is there a way to diplomatically not go back in the ring to show for sale order?  Stierwalt did it last year.

DLD

okiegirl said:
Is there a way to diplomatically not go back in the ring to show for sale order?  Stierwalt did it last year.

I don't know about Stierwalt doing it last year.  If they did, it was their last year to show at Tulsa, so it wouldn't have mattered as much to them. 

I know if you place first or second you're already in the ring from showing for breed champion and reserve - not much way out of that.  And I know if you stand third in a class, and they wait around for you before/if they let the next steer get in line, that exhibitor may never get over feeling like it's at least partly your fault if they don't get in.  Not to mention that the judge will remember that when you show your second one. He might not care - then again he might...

If you really think they're both good enough to make the sale, then don't take the one you're wanting to take to KC.  Otherwise, my advice would be to play the cards you're dealt and take whichever one's left to KC. 

Latest posts