What is a desirable carcass?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Grousepark

So what are we all after?  The carcass is result of incredible  endeavor.  What is ideal and profitable for the producer, feedlot, retailer, cook, and.... person behind the knife and fork.?  How heavy? How much marbling? How much backfat?  How much bone? Guts? Ribeye?  What is efficent, desireable, and makes money?  All comments are appreciated.

DRB

Grousepark said:
So what are we all after?  The carcass is result of incredible  endeavor.  What is ideal and profitable for the producer, feedlot, retailer, cook, and.... person behind the knife and fork.?  How heavy? How much marbling? How much backfat?  How much bone? Guts? Ribeye?  What is efficent, desireable, and makes money?  All comments are appreciated.

Loaded question I think... I would say it would be hard to find an ideal for all.  Things like grids/premiums/discounts that packers put out there are driving what are good for them (not necessarily you) - which may not result in the best animal to feed or ideal momma cow base (they don't care if you loose on those ends).

I think you'd have to narrow your focus - I'm breeding to produce a gourmet quality grassfed carcass that my customers buy directly from me - as well as moderate and efficient momma cows.  No sales barn, feedlot or packers guys to deal with and satisfy.

Davis Shorthorns

well if you like eating bone marrow then as much BONE as you can get.  Other than that just as much bone that is needed to cary about a 1200 lb animal.  I like Choice with a low yeild grade like a 2.  Thats just me.

aj

A choice or high select carcass on a least cost ration......4-1 conversion....minimal corn....probably backgrounded.

wiseguy

I'm looking for an animal that will yield 62-65% of its body weight in carcass. So a 1250 lbs animal would have a 775-800 hanging weight. I don't want a huge carcass with big steaks because almost all consumers today don't desire a steak larger than 12-14 oz. I personally like a high choice steak with a 2 YG that has been hanging a minimum of 30 days. Ideally I would like this animal to reach this terminal end point in less than 15 months and do so on a low cost corn ration. No grass for me ( I had it once and don't like the taste). However, most importantly it must be tender and palatable. 

ploughshare

Yes, loaded question since it depends on who is asking.  The Y/G system is flawed if you ask me and does not serve the consumer.  In the day I was taught the following rank of carcass qualities.

1. Tenderness
2. Marbling
3. Rib eye of 12", this may have changed since the late 80s, but steaks sold by weight are thinner from large ribeye cattle which tend to have lower marbling which means less eating quality.
4. Yield grade 2 or better
5. Grade choice or better, but since the USDA has required less marbling of late, this really means Choice + or better.

Check out the steak displays at the high end steak houses and it will give you a good idea of what  they are buying.

tcf

If I owned a feedlot up here in Canada and I could fill a truck full of 1400-1500 lbs steers I would be crazy happy. With industry up here increasing acceptable carcass weight up to 1000lb that is were money is made. Quality is still a key attribute but size still matters in the cattle industry when you are selling off the hoof like most do, IMO. Our grading systems are slightly different structured but very close in terms of design. Up here we also see lots of heavier steer pushing down scales and winning shows too. It is not offten that a steers winning up here are under 1300. That is my two cents at least, like the discussion and thought a thread like this creates!