What is everybodies favorite commentator?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

What is everybodies favorite media commentator? Radio....TV......blogs.....etc. I like to listen to Mike Rosen out of Denver radio 850 KOA. Is right of center on a lot of things. He doesn't foam at the mouth. I also like to listen to Gloria Neal. Shes left of center.......but I usually don't get ticked off when I listen to her.......shes fun I think.

oakview

Bill O'Reilly for news and my favorite for sports will always be Jack Buck.  If you have a chance, listen to the CD about Jack Buck's life.  You don't have to be a Cardinals fan to appreciate it, though Jack did all the other major sports on TV, too.  I also enjoyed Dizzy Dean and PeeWee Reese on the Yankee game of the week back in the 60's.  I think CBS owned the Yankees then.  You've never really heard a baseball story unless you've heard Dizzy's rendition of how he bunted into a home run.  My least favorite news commentator would be Chris Mathews.  His tingling leg comment about Obama put me over the edge.  The sportscaster I feal the worst for would be anybody who announces Cubs games.

Here's a tester for you to think about in your spare time this winter. 

How can one baseball team, in one inning, have three triples, a double, two singles, two stolen bases, and not score a run?  It can be done.  I've posed this question to numerous people over the past 30 years, but no one has been able to correctly answer it.  I haven't told them because then I wouldn't be the only one who knew how it could happen!  I don't know if the person who told me is still alive.

knabe

Two triples try to stretch it to home but get called out.
Next one triples
Next one doubles but guy on third doesn't advance
Next one singles steals second but two men are on base and one is tagged out
Same.

I think I got it covered?  Oops, one mistake.
You could probably have a double steal and guy on third gets caught.

I'll rethink it.

oakview

Need another single and runners to get credit for 2 stolen bases.  You got the first part right about the two batters trying to stretch triples into inside the park home runs.  The rest of it needs a little work, but not bad.  If the 3rd guy triples, the 4th guy doubles, the 5th guy singles, he could try to steal second, but someone would have to be tagged out trying to go either home or to third.  That would be the third out, so no other batters could come up, leaving your scenario a single and at least one stolen base short.  I don't think he would officially get credit for stealing an occupied base if one of the runners ahead of him was tagged out before reaching base safely.

RyanChandler

Jon Gruden, Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Joe Buck,Troy Aikman, Cris Collinsworth

Two triples try to stretch it home but get called out.
3rd batter hits a double
4th batter hits single but runner on 2nd doesn't advance
Double steal advances runner to 3rd and 2nd
5th batter hits single.  Bases loaded.
6th batter crushes ground ball to warning track
Runners that were on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all advance around the bases but all fail to touch home plate
Batter 6 rounds 3rd, heads home and touches home plate before any of the prior bases runners do
Batter 6 is called out on the spot for passing base runners and credited with a triple.
<beer>

RyanChandler

Its prolly worth pointing out that an Error would also have to occur after each of the first two batters established 3rd base and prior to each 'trying' to advance home for each to be credited with triples before being thrown out at home. 

oakview

I read about this scenario in Sporting News about 35 years ago in a column called something like "ask the referee."

X-Bar came close enough, although there wouldn't have to be an error on the triples where the runner got thrown out at home.  A runner just trying to stretch a triple into an inside the park home run would suffice.  If there was an error, he could have been credited with a single, double, or whatever by the judgement of the official scorer.  Depends on when the error occured.  If I remember right, the third batter hit a double and then stole third.  The next batter singled, runner on third holding, and then stole second.  The next batter singled, this time both runners holding.  If this seems unlikely, just imagine a bunt down the third base line.  Suppose the runner just didn't want to run into an easy tag out.  It could happen.  The third baseman could charge the play, pick up the ball and tag the runner trying to score, but not be able to field the ball cleanly and throw out the batter at first base.  The next batter hits a ball over the left field fence.  In their jubilation, the three base runners high five the batter, allowing him to pass them and touch home plate first.  He is credited with a triple, the last base he reached safely, but the runner he passes makes the third out, ending the inning with no runs scored.  This exact scenario has never occurred, according to the column I read, however, he did say that in a minor league game, someone hit at apparent grand slam to win a game and unfortunately passed all the runners.  Way to go!  You guys did better than I thought you would!  Please tell me somebody just didn't find it on their computer.

RyanChandler

There WOULD have to be errors AFTER each of the first two batters each reached third and BEFORE each tried to advance home where they were tagged out.  If no error occurred after establishing third base, being tagged out at home plate trying to stretch the play would not be recorded as a triple. I wouldn't even be recorded as a hit.

knabe

http://www.retrosheet.org/passing.htm

the two famous ones are tim mccarver after hitting a grand slam and lou gehrig after hitting a home run, losing it to drop into a tie with i think babe ruth for the season title.

actually, the gehrig reference is included in the instance about losing the home run title.

aj

I don't get Tom Brokaw's little bit on clear channel radio stations. He just comes across as condescending. American story or something like thata.

aj

I listened to Dave Logan and Scott Hastings. It was something like"The ride home". koa 850 am Denver. They were hillarious. Both were pro athletes. One football one basketball. They were funny. I know when scootie moved on......the last show they were laughing trying to keep from crying. They were a pair. Dave still does it......announces Bronco games. But that afternoon show ain't been the same.

knabe

Mark levin
Dr bill wattenburg

The left are hard to find as they keep changing radio station due to low ratings.

stumpy

I like Leon and Mark in the morning on channel 3 in Wichita, the Bob and Tom crew for morning radio, and Dewayne Toews on 550 AM and as the announcer at the Kansas Beef Expo.

aj

I remember that goodland Ks had......I think a tv show.....an hour long.....I think it morphed in a radio hour. Kay Melia and Dale Schilling had "The good neighbor hour". Kay was the owner of the station and Dale was the county agent......maybe 1972? Dale was Chances grandad.

oakview

A triple IS a hit, regardless if the runner was thrown out at home trying to stretch it into an inside the park home run.  There would NOT have to be an error.  There COULD be an error, but it would have to have no influence on whether he reached third base or not.  If the error, in the judgement of the official scorer, allowed the hitter to go from second to third, it would be a double.  STILL A HIT.  A batter is credited with a HIT of a type of the last base he reached safely, if there is no error allowing him to get there.  Many, many times during the course of a season, a batter will hit into the gap and trying to stretch a single into a double, he is thrown out at second base.  He is credited with a single, no error, but was thrown out at second base.  Still a hit.  If the error occurred allowing the runner to reach first base safely, in other words he would have been thrown out with a normal defensive effort, there would be no hit.  Check baseball scoring rules if you don't believe me.