What is everyone paying for hay?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

We live north of San Antonio, and I was wondering what everyone is paying for hay these days.  Specifically round bales of wilman love grass, round bales of klien hay and square bales of sudan.

herefordfootball

Well a neighbor and good friend just gave us some low quality grass hay for free, the show calves wont touch it, but the cows eat it up pretty good. We get really good pasture/grass/alfalfa squares(50lbs) from are friend for 3$ a bale. He asks 35$ a bale for round bales that are approx. 600lbs.

BAILEYFARMS

WE are selling wheat hay for $70 ton (round bales) bermuda grass $85 ton (round and mid size sq) $5 a bale small square plus delivery in weatern ok

cowcrazy

Must be nice to be able to get hay so cheap!  It is so dry here that hay is selling for $8.50 for a square bale of sudan and $80.00 for round bales!

stangs13

We are the cheapest around our area, and we sell very high quality square coastal hay for 9.00 a bale. We are limited to selling 5 bales a week per customer because of the drought. Our supplier normally has 35000 bales in his barns during this time of year, but a few weeks ago he only had 2000..not good!

showsteerdlux

What kind of hay do ya'll need? Horse quality or cow?  We're in Western NC and can get about anything needed. I feel for ya''ll, we had the same problem the past 3 years. Hopefully it'll get better.

BCCC

120 a ton for big round bales of alfalfa, 240 a ton for grass, and alfalfa small squares bale delivered to your door for $8.

box6rranch

Colorado is all over the board. People are trying to get last years prices, up to 9.00 a bale when we have had a ton of rain this year and everyone is baling hay. Realistically small bales are going for 5.00 to 6.00. We got 4x4x8's about 1500 Pd's for 90.00 a piece.

cowcrazy

Stangs13 I am surprised that you have a shortage of hay! Every time I check the radar it seems like you guys are getting the rain. We just finished cutting and baling our fields and got about 1/2 of what we normally do. We were hoping to be able to sell some to at least get our fertilizer and weed kill paid for, but now we are afraid to turn loose of anything for fear we won't get another cutting and have hay for our cows.  I guess we are lucky to have gotten anything!  Pray for rain!

stangs13

It may show it but we dont get anything. We get hay out of anderson. We need high quality grass hay..this guy sells very good hay and a whole lot cheaper than most hay companys it seems. I think we move a semi full of hay every week.

cowcrazy

Anyone know where there is some cheaper hay located in Texas close to San Antonio?

aggiegal

There's a ton of hay on craigslist still.  We are located about 35 miles NW of Austin.  We bought 20 round bales about 3 weeks ago from a guy near the airport in Austin, but he will deliver anywhere.  We paid $60 per bale (heavy 5x5 bales) of good quality coastal DELIVERED.  We also bought 5x5 round bales of sudan for $50....that is fantastic hay!  We have all the show calves on the coastal and the heifers and cow/calf on the sudan.
My dad just bought 100 bales of this year's hay (5x5 bales) for $65 per bale delivered as well.  He gets his from a guy in East TX.  PM me if you would like some numbers.

aj

I've got a circle of feed in. If it doesn't get hailed it should produce 700 round bales at 1200#. We finally came out of our drought with 15 inches of rain already this year. I think corn is going to get cheap pulling wheat down with it. We actually have a couple dairies that hold the feed price up pretty good in the area.

Shady Lane

The hay crop in our area is very poor this year due to exctremely dry conditions and some VERY late frosts.

However hay price is all over the map, as we areexperiencing about a 20-30% of an AVERAGE crop.

Good quality dairy hay is bringing about $240 a ton.

cowboybecoachin

We have had some good rains in our area near Hico, Hamilton, and Meridian. Our headquarters is near Cranfills Gap. We have sudan, coastal, and klien grass hay available at $45-55 roll. Very good, well fertilized round bales. Call 254-688-0840.

cowcrazy

Thanks for the good leads on hay.  As it turned out we got a little more than we planned on.  If we start running low, I will need the info!