what is it round two

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

good guess ELBEE, i have a pair of toes from a dead calf i pulled once.  the toes came right and i fell on my but with the toes in my hand.  but no, they are not toes.

zapper

Looks like dewclaws.  Just had a steer take 2 off in the shoot.

knabe

correct chambero.  from an earlier thread, someone was talking about getting in over your head.  some of my fence sucks.  this coupled with not paying attention to the fly bag for dust, led the animals with horns to start scratching.  i noticed the bag was empty on thursday, and wrote a note to pick some up on saturday.  on friday, the steer was getting pretty irritated and was scratching the junction between his horn and skin.  he got it caught in the fence and pulled them BOTH off.  he stopped bleeding pretty fast, as there was no access to the two or three veins that are inside the horn about 2-3 mm in diameter that need some care to stop them from bleeding.  only the animals with horns just get their heads totally covered with the dust.  they really enjoy the powder and there are no face flies or eggs of any kind on them that i can see.  i've seen some studies where the dust get's labeled as ineffective cause it doesn't get used by the animals.  mine is where they have to go under it to get feed.  the horned animals basically just throw the bag around with their head.  the polled ones just drag it on their back.  for me, the bag works.  the horns were previously dehorned with only a small smidgeon of horn left.  it was not an attempt to get a show calf result.  i didn't do the dehorning, though i've done some.  it's somewhat of an art.  get that paste, it works great and is a lot cheaper and looks better. 

i was going to say they were giant dewclaws just for a laugh, but on some animals they are even bigger than this.  i also had a heifer rip her dew claws off on a foot.

farmboy

ive had bad luck with crazy heifers, kickin their dewclaws off and cutting themselves and jumping gates etc etc. neat picture btw

knabe

correct chambero

Those are the outer coverings of some type of horn.

i swear, there is nothing like communicating to hone the clarity of one's typing.  sorry for not being more clear in just about all my post's. ;D  i think i've improved a little with help from ELBEE, red, dl and garybob and cowz.