What is the best TH and PHA free bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

hsShowCattle

What breed.  I searched majors Leroy and found wolf willows major leroy. Looked like a shorthorn. Is that the bull you were talking about.

hsShowCattle

Have you used him. Had any luck. He looks pretty nice. I have some purebred shorty heifers as well that will be calving this coming spring.

knabe

never used him.

i assume when anyone asks about th pha free, they mean shorthorn.

he's just my favorite picture bull and i like pictures of his offspring.

hsShowCattle

I have mostly crosses, three purebred shortys and one maintainer.  They are all retired show heifers.  I am trying to raise some show animals for my kids and my niece rather than buy everything. But I am pretty sure a few of the crosses are carriers and will be testing them. The Maine and three shortys are clean by pedigree.

hsShowCattle

If the Z of his ID is a year code and it follows other year codes of other breeds then I'm thinking he should be a yearling?? Coming 2 yr old in 2014. Nice bull though. what's on his dams side.

CAB

There have been some very good calves out of Thriller this fall but semen on him has gotten a little higher since he's gone.
The Miller / Reid bull Daddy of Them All may be the next really good clean bull out there. Some good ones starting to show up this fall.

bk2005

I can't see thriller being worth $100.
One n only really works best on small terminal made cows.

I like comfort zone of Trauch.

justintime

The true worth of what Major Leroy did in our herd is now being seen through the production of his daughters.They are moderate framed, good uddered and fertile. They seem to knick very well with whatever sire they are bred to, and they always bring a calf in that is in the top end of the calf crop. I have attached a picture of  Major Leroy at 8 years of age with some of his calves. He was wintered on only hay so you can see in this picture that he is easy fleshing, in fact he was one of the easiest fleshing animals I have ever owned. I have also attached a picture of a month old Leroy baby and I included this picture as I think it shows how he can change a poorer muscled female in one generation.
The Vanguard bull that xbar purchased was from our last natural calf crop that leroy sired, and he is one of the best sons we produced. His dam is a K-Kim Last Call 159N ET daughter from our Elsie's Jade donor cow. Some of the Leroy daughters in production in our herd, are not as pretty as some others, but I look at their production, they rank as our best females. I have also attached a couple pictures of bulls that are out of Leroy dams.

Attachments

• Leroy at 8 years and some of his calves-2jpg sm.jpg
    Leroy at 8 years and some of his calves-2jpg sm.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 188
  • A month old Major Leroy calf with his dam...with Leroy change comes in one generation.JPG
    A month old Major Leroy calf with his dam...with Leroy change comes in one generation.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 206

justintime

Here are two Timeline sons that are out of Major Leroy dams. HC Marksman 25Z sold to Hugh Moore & Sons, Jerseyville, IL and he had a pretty good summer at some state fairs, and was used extensively in their herd as well. He was Grand Champion bull at Missouri State Fair, Reserve Grand at Kentucky, and Reserve Junior at Illinois State Fair.
The second bull is HC Zodiac 20Z. He had explosive growth and he gained 4.74 lbs/ day from on a 125 day test from weaning. The ration he was on was designed for a 3 lb/ day gain, so the feed salesman was super impressed. His yearling weight was 1474 lbs and he had a 90 lb BW and was unassisted at birth. He sold to a commercial producer, who has purchased 18 bulls in the past 10 years from us.
Our Leroy daughters have some of our best calves again this year.

Attachments

• HC Marksman 25Z sm.jpg
    HC Marksman 25Z sm.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 176
  • HC ZODIAC 20Z sm.jpg
    HC ZODIAC 20Z sm.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 190

sizzler14

CAB said:
There have been some very good calves out of Thriller this fall but semen on him has gotten a little higher since he's gone.
The Miller / Reid bull Daddy of Them All may be the next really good clean bull out there. Some good ones starting to show up this fall.
and mysteriously hundreds of people bred to him last year and hundreds of calves are popping up everywhere as if he is the new hot bull out and unfortunately semen is now limited and skyrocketed. Funny how that works  (clapping)
Agree on Daddy of em all. A real good friend of mine bred a couple to Redemption (his daddy). I have seen a few daddy of em all calves at a few shows this fall. They were loaded with red meat, but some of them seemed very very short and bold jointed. I didn't get to see the cows, but if I were to use him, it would be on bigger made Sim or Sim Angus cows. I think he could really click with cows with Meyer influence ( I know everything pretty much does anyways) but I really think he fits the mold for the Meyer cows.

rackranch

If your goal is to raise show cattle for you kids I would stay away from Shorthorn unless you want to breed you PB back for registered cattle.  Look at Mr. Fire Water, Loving the Business or Yellow Jacket for Charolais cross, Chopper or Hired Man for Black bulls, and Medicine Man or Red Bull for red/red and white bulls that have the power and depth of lower quarter that most  Shorthorns lack. G-Luck and keep us posted