What is the best way to start in the clubby industery???

Help Support Steer Planet:

openas_shorthorn

What is the best way to start in the clubby industery? I have about 130 cow I feel that I have a strong cow base mostly Maine Angus and some shorthorns cows

shortyjock89

Gargan said:
my advice would be buy some proven embryos (thumbsup)

Yup. Put in as many good embryos as you can afford.  Then AI a bunch more cows to Monopoly (or clone), Walks Alone, and I 80.  Buy or lease a clubby bull or two from Lautner or Rogers to cover cows.  Buy two good Maine Anjou bulls for herd sires.

wyatt

If you got the right cows simply use the right bulls flip open a clubby semen book flip the pages point a finger chances of getting a good one are as good as any with almost any heat wave son except a few proven sires  (monopoly,walks alone , ext.)

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

WB ShowCattle said:
If you got the right cows simply use the right bulls flip open a clubby semen book flip the pages point a finger chances of getting a good one are as good as any with almost any heat wave son except a few proven sires  (monopoly,walks alone , ext.)
i agree  <beer> i might use a little more of a selection process but basic concept for sure, pick out a few good bulls that look like they would work on some of your best cows. i wouldnt go overboard on embryos as they can get real expensive and i dont think its necessary for getting started in the business, HOWEVER putting in say 10-20 embryos would be worth a shot to get a couple great steers possibly a promotional bull prospect to use on your own cows and then maybe even a couple elite donors. and then wah-la your in the clubby business and with a great start! good luck!  (pop)
fr just getting started on top of picking a few bulls yourself watch what is hot on the market (monopoly, walks alone,etc) beacause the name will sell itself alot of times.  (lol)

DakotaCow

Scrap the embryo idea, and I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of leasing a clubby bull. Pick out 3 or 4 bulls to use and go for it, don't go all in on the clubby stuff because your going to need some replacements to come from somewhere....

WJ Farms

First place I would start is buying about 4 or 5 good solid replacements females either PB angus or PB charolais.......Then start by using some black bulls on the charolais to get you some smokes! I think the best base for the clubby business is starting with purebreds!! But thats not sayin that you cant buy good clubby cows and do the same thing.....I just think the structural intergrity of the offspring out the purebred would suffer less than in the clubby cows.....JMO

ZNT

I've seen several recommendations to purchase embryos.  I think this can be a good idea as long as you can get some reasonably priced ones.  There are plenty of great deals out there, so don't think that you have to go by the flushmates to all the champions at the Majors.  A.I. is your fastest, most economical way to get into the clubby business.  You can tailor each mating to each cow.  For clean up bulls, I would pick out bulls that will produce you the kind of replacement females you would like to go back into your herd.  Most likely your cleanup bull will sire the calves that are a little too young for what the buyers are looking for, that is if you are A.I.ing for the ideal age steers.  Pick cleanup bulls with moderate birthweights, good muscle (not too much), and good maternal genetics.  If you are A.I.ing to high birthweight, heavy muscled, no maternal bulls, then you need to have cows that can counter this.  Also, use defect free cleanup bulls.  It will make your herd management much simpler, and try to have a defect free cow herd.  Then your choice of bulls is unlimited.

Last advice.  Don't outproduce the market you are selling too.  You don't need to spend thousands on embryos to produce $5K steers, when your market is looking for $1500-3000 steers.  It does no good to produce a $15K steer if no one who comes out will pay that much.  For those out there that might say "produce them and they will come", I wouldn't bet on it!

Shorthorns4us

I am by no means any kind of an expert in the clubby business, nor do I participate, but I am located in heavy clubby territory and here are my observations:

Yes, you have to get some of the "popular" and "right" bred calves on the ground to keep up with the latest lines and fads
Next- I see that you should plan on spending some time and money on EXPOSURE!!!!  Go to every show, show in every show, try to win at every show, network at every show,
make friends with the right clubby crowd.  Show your calves all the time
Next-- I see that your calves should look show ready at all times-- 24/7  I see that potential shoppers are looking for the fluff and puff.  They won't get the same impression if they see the same calf that just got off the wash line wringing wet or just came off the overnight tie out and has still has "bedhead".  Fluff and Puff is all it takes sometimes.
Did I say-- get out and go to every event-- show and sale and get exposure!! Find a mentor in the clubby business that you can shirttail on that might give you some good references to clients.

;)
EF

AAOK

openas_shorthorn said:
What is the best way to start in the clubby industery? I have about 130 cow I feel that I have a strong cow base mostly Maine Angus and some shorthorns cows

What do you mean when you ask about the "Clubby" industry?  Most are referring to raising Club Steers, but other are just referring to Show Calves - Breeding Heifers, Market Heifers, Steers and Bulls.