What is the funniest or strangest thing you've taken to a show?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

What is the funniest or strangest thing you've taken to a show? I've seen people bring some really funny things to shows. It seems that people are bringing everything but the kitchen sink sometimes. Actually, I'm waiting to see the kitchen sink. :D
What do you think is the funniest thing you've brought to a show? Or what is the strangest thing you've seen someone else bring?
I'll start out by confessing the funniest thing we've brought has been our cat. Yes, the cat known as King Killer Kitty has gone to the Ohio State Fair & twice to Louisville. He actually seems to enjoy traveling. I understand I've destroyed my reputation as a serious cattle person but thought it would be fun to see what else people bring! :p
Red

jason

I saw a man riding a segway.
segway-VC-2.jpg

jason

Didn't notice until I posted, but the dude in the background looks like he is in an awkard position, or is it a female. ??? :eek:

cowz

red said:
What is the funniest or strangest thing you've taken to a show? I've seen people bring some really funny things to shows. It seems that people are bringing everything but the kitchen sink sometimes. Actually, I'm waiting to see the kitchen sink. :D
What do you think is the funniest thing you've brought to a show? Or what is the strangest thing you've seen someone else bring?
I'll start out by confessing the funniest thing we've brought has been our cat. Yes, the cat known as King Killer Kitty has gone to the Ohio State Fair & twice to Louisville. He actually seems to enjoy traveling. I understand I've destroyed my reputation as a serious cattle person but thought it would be fun to see what else people bring! :p
Red

Hello Red,

I have to ask this....What did you do with Killer Kitty while at the show???  Did he guard the truck???  I can imagine a big old cat sittin on the show box to keep people from stealing your clippers!!!  Ha!

Seriously, a couple of years ago at a junior national show, this lady had 2 corgis in a baby play pen, at the end of a row near their show box.  Those dogs would growl and bark at everybody that walked by. ( I love dogs but it was tooooo much!) After about a day of that everybody wanted to throw the lady in the play pen and tie the dogs in the wash rack!!!! :p

red

Killer Kitty either tormented the maids at the motel or he slept in the truck. You know at 16 pounds, he is a very good watch cat too.
I've been to lot of shows that people have their dogs. It seems to be pretty standard here. I was at one a couple of weeks ago & someone had a puppy in the bleachers watching. The dog atarted barking at a calf in the ring & spooked him. Not a good idea on that one. :-\
Red

heatwave

16 lbs that is a fat cat, I got one about the same size and she just sleeps all day, but every once in a while she gets a wild hair and just goes tearing through the house back and forth a couple times. ;D

cowz

This topic got me thinking on the "dinosaur days" of my show career.  We used to show for some polled hereford people, went to all the big shows.  Anyhow there was a place that showed everywhere we went.  These were much older wealthy people-as nice as you would ever hope to meet.    Every afternoon about 4, all work on the cattle would cease.  Their herdsman would get this cool leather briefcase out of the show box.  He then put ice in a silver shaker, mixed 2 martini's, served them  in real glasses.  When the owners were done, he put it all away and went back to clipping or whatever.  Now thats what I call a full service fitter! ;D

red

He then put ice in a silver shaker, mixed 2 martini's, served them  in real glasses.  When the owners were done, he put it all away and went back to clipping or whatever.  Now thats what I call a full service fitter!
Shaken not stired?
I get a kick out of how big the boom box & speakers have gotten. Some are as big a the show boxes. Waiting for a disco balls to start revolving. I just know that sometimes when you walk by them you start vibrating from the sound. ???
Must be really showing my age! :-\
Red

schoenbi

I normally take a good sized radio so you can hear it over the fans and blowers, but i seen some kids have a 4 ft. tall box with 4 sub woofers in it. I thought that was taking it a little far,  older people were going nuts. ;D

cowz

I know a family that has the whole family fit one at a time....they (4 of them...2 parents, 2 kids)  each do a corner and pull their assigned leg!  It is an art ... no arguing!  Any how they burn and play CD's that please the whole clan.  Hip Hop, ACDC, Fleetwood Mac, Nickleback, a little of everything.  Now I really have to admire them..they have their act together!

red

I love it when you can take 4 people that each do a different leg & they all come out looking alike. It takes a lot of team work & practice! I'm in awe when I see that happening. Really great that it's a family effort!
Red

Stifler

schoenbi said:
I normally take a good sized radio so you can hear it over the fans and blowers, but i seen some kids have a 4 ft. tall box with 4 sub woofers in it. I thought that was taking it a little far,  older people were going nuts. ;D
darn kids. just kidding. gotta love em.

ATOZ

When we got back into showing about 5 years ago we had a blower from the 70's ..... ( I could blow more air than it did!) I'm sure it looked pretty funny to many!

jeffb1

"Back in the day" we'd have glycerin soap bars and Jello Gelatin boxes and PGA.
The short leg hair we'd use the soap bar(wipe it down and pull'em up), the better leg hair we'd mix the dry jello in water and spray it on and pull 'em up and the PGA was for the unruly one's
(cattle and humans). JB

shortyjock89

jeffb1 said:
"Back in the day" we'd have glycerin soap bars and Jello Gelatin boxes and PGA.
The short leg hair we'd use the soap bar(wipe it down and pull'em up), the better leg hair we'd mix the dry jello in water and spray it on and pull 'em up and the PGA was for the unruly one's
(cattle and humans). JB

Dad used to tell me all about that stuff before spray glue came out.  Actually, at a show a few years ago, we saw a guy fitting a heifer with a Glycerin bar because it was a no ADHESIVE show.  I can't say that it looked spectacular, but it looked better than I thought it would.  What the heck did you guys wash that stuff out with, kerosene?

kanshow

If you are talking about the old saddle soap bars, you just get it wet & it lathers right up & comes out.    I will say that was it was harder than heck to work with on cold days. 

RSC

County Fairs usually bring out the best of the strange!

1.  The 10 Foot Blocking chute:  A family built their own blocking chute.  Made with pretty good design but absolutely huge.  "Tiny" the bull from the the largest bull thread would have looked small in it.  He had it built to break down in seperate pieces nicely but it is a monster!

2.  Fattest Bucket calf(Champion as well) at the fair and very satisfied!  The cattle barn was located next to the goat barn.  They were leaving with the bucket calf for about 45 minutes 2-3 times a day!  I asked what they were doing, exercising!  No, going to the Goat barn to let him nurse!  (clapping)

3.  The county fair I grew up at has a bunch of camper sites and most of the 4-h families stay there.(BIG PARTY)  A few years back they had a cookoff contest to make it fun for all the families!  The winner was serving Margarittas and it was a show!  He made an attatchment for the blender to fit on a gas powered weed eater.  He has since brought another one that's attatched to a chainsaw.  Really cool but annoying when he mixes them at 3:30 am.  (lol)

4. Someone had 2- Time bucket calf Champion! Nobody cared.  Burn him up with feed with the rest of the cattle and stunt him year one, bring him back year 2!

Tony

kanshow

Tony - That chute must make the rounds.    We have one that shows up at our fair and I'm not sure how they get it moved in unless they bring their own loader!!    I think the corners are 3" pipe. 

farwest

1. I too saw a same calf win the bucket calf competition 2 years in a row.  I then wondered why they enforced the rule of having to be born after jan. 1 of the show year.
2.I saw someone show up with a scissors to clip their stocker feeder
3.Saw what looked like a vaccuum cleaner turned around for a blower.
4.  RSC.  yes RSC is the strangest thing i have seen at a show.... O0

RSC

Another one and maybe the best one, was driving down the interstate headed to a show and came up on someone pulling a small bumper hitch trailor.  They must of not had enough room for the tac cuz the chute was set up in the trailor and the calf was tied in it!  (thumbsup)

Tony