what is the longest time you have waited on a cow to calve?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OhShOwEr

We have a cow that was due on the 10th of Feb, so far nothing, we put her in and palpated today and felt the calf, the longest we have ever gone on a cow is 10 days, how about you?  THanks for any imput, it is about to drive us crazy.... ::)

kamerkat

we had one 14 days over about a month ago but the calf was too big and died so if sure of breeding date i would induce.next four that were bred to the same bull were also over so we induced them and everything was fine

Show Heifer

I bought a purebred cow in June. She was preg'd in late May to calve in Sept, and I am still waiting...... ???

OhShOwEr

Thank you so much for the imput!  It is much appreciated will let you know how it turns out :)

justintime

On two occasions, I have had ET calves from the same flush go 17 days between the first born and the last born. All have been DNA parentage tested and proven to be from the embryos. In both cases the last one born was a heifer calf. In both cases, all were born unassisted but there was about 17 lbs difference between the first born and the last born.As I have stated on here before, I am not a big fan of inducing cows. I am sure there are cases where it may be necessary, but I do think it is done far too often.

Stihlpro

17 days here.  Big calf but born unassisted.  Cow was AI'd with no bull exposure.

CAB

Show Heifer said:
I bought a purebred cow in June. She was preg'd in late May to calve in Sept, and I am still waiting...... ???

SH, I think that you are the winner on the longest wait!!!
  The longest wait that I have had was also 17 days over.

husker1

ET bull calf; 19 days over.....124 pounds at birth.  Neighbor wanted to experiment and used him on cows....Didn't touch a calf in 5 calfcrops.

mdb1985

I have had embryo transfer calves that were born up to 30 days apart....some heifers early and some bulls late

Show Heifer

My cousin has had ET calves born 2 weeks early and 2 weeks late. Same flush, half sister recep's. Go figure.

CAB:  Sad thing is, she doesn't look close to calving yet.... can someone say "WRONG"????  :mad:

SKF

We had a Rocky Balboa calf come 2 weeks late. He weighed 92lbs and everything was fine. Good Luck!!

DTW

Years ago when full throttle was the bull of choice for those sought after steers.  I can remember 14 days was no big deal to wait on and they were always big bull calves that needed assistance or c sections. 

We did try to induce some but sometimes the cows cervix didnt dialate properly and you fought getting the calf out of the cervix versus the pelvis.

I did hear a couple years ago a guy had a calf 60 days overdue.  It was an IVF calf and he just assumed she didnt take but when she calved it weighed well over 200 lbs and was dead.  I never saw a picture but i know people that did and it was huge.

xxcc

Show Heifer said:

yeah, I have had a few like that too.  I usually quit waiting at the end of the rest of my herd calving.

Show Heifer

ohioclubcalves said:
We're waiting on a Star Power calf that was due on the 8th.  But she's finally looking real close.

I would lean toward that not being a Star Power calf.... 3 weeks late would be the next cycle.

As for my cow.... well, at least the possibility of a purebred calf is back in the picture.. She wasn't exposed to calve between Nov 15 and Feb 15.
I laugh and say it will be the only calf born ready to be weaned!

Latest posts