What is your favorite cattle/farm dog?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Do you have a favorite breed of dog for either working cattle or just a great farm dog?
I have a blue heeler. He's not much of a cattle dog but is a great watchdog & companion.
My next choice is a Welsh Corgi. I just love those little dogs.

Red

Attachments

• Sami & Poolie.jpg
    Sami & Poolie.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 317
  • PembrokeWelshCorgiA3878D-lg.jpg
    PembrokeWelshCorgiA3878D-lg.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 365

red

Jill, they are adorable!! Both the boy & the pups! How old on all 3?
Red (clapping)

Showcalves

Had one for 13 years before he died.  Got another pup then and she was hit this winter by a car.  Now we're getting ready for another little red merle female. 

BSC

justme

Our old lab is as faithful as they come..but I sure do love my CORGI'S!!!  Nothing beats them for comic relief when checking cows at 3 in the morning  with them!

Show Heifer

I would be a bad "momma" if I don't speak up about Norm, my 6 month old Aussie.  Wow he is a hand full!!!
But I also can not forget to mention: Cookie-a english spanial (my first dog in my memory) I had her for 11 years.
Yogi- a choc Aussie that lasted 10 years on the farm and was a gift to my Dad from my brother and me. And lastly, and certainly not the least was Shamu, a golden retriever X Great Pyrennes, I saved from the pound. A wonderful friend that died in Oct after 14 years, and a battle with cancer.
All have been great babysitters, watch dogs (except Shamu and he loved EVERYONE!), farm dogs, and most importantly friends.  I am sure glad none of them learned to speak!! :)

CAB

This probably sounds like a crazy mix, but the last few dogs that we have had have been F-1 Blue heeler males on pure Rat Terrier's. They are so cute. They look like minature Blue heelers and are very, very smart. They are very multie purpose. B-4 these dogs, we have had Aussies and Heelers both, but the F-1's will out work and out smart them both. CAB

red

CAB said:
   This probably sounds like a crazy mix, but the last few dogs that we have had have been F-1 Blue heeler males on pure Rat Terrier's. They are so cute. They look like minature Blue heelers and are very, very smart. They are very multie purpose. B-4 these dogs, we have had Aussies and Heelers both, but the F-1's will out work and out smart them both. CAB

(welcome)
Welcome CAB!
wow, that sounds like an interesting combination! If you have any pictures, let us see them.
Glad to have you on board.

Red

genes

I love Aussie's.  Though mine (not a PB though, so maybe that's her excuse) was actually terrified of cows.  But she was a great companion.  I'm baiscally just really partial to the herding breeds over other breeds.  I love their intelligence.

cowz

I have a horrible border collie addiction.  I bought a pup out of Dr. John Edward's dog back in 1986.  Maggie was the best dog I ever had.  She lived to be 14 years old.  I still have border collies.  They are very versatile!

red

cowz said:
I have a horrible border collie addiction.   I bought a pup out of Dr. John Edward's dog back in 1986.  Maggie was the best dog I ever had.  She lived to be 14 years old.  I still have border collies.  They are very versatile!

cowz, was it you that wanted the French bulldog?

Red (dog)

cowz

red said:
cowz said:
I have a horrible border collie addiction.   I bought a pup out of Dr. John Edward's dog back in 1986.  Maggie was the best dog I ever had.  She lived to be 14 years old.  I still have border collies.  They are very versatile!

cowz, was it you that wanted the French bulldog?

Red (dog)

Yes, GUILTY!  We used to have a weiner dog for a house and porch dog.  He thought he was part of the cow dog gang.  This sounds unbelievable, but he could swing off a cows tail.  He got shut in the house during calving and shipping because he could be a real pain in the rear.  He had a love - hate relationship with the barn cats.  If you came in from the cold, he would lay on your feet and warm them up.  He lived to a ripe old age and frankly I miss having him around.  I saw some French Bulldogs last year and I would love to have one.  Wouldn't fit in with the border collies, but would make a great pickup pal!!!    (dog)

cowz

Jill said:
red said:
Jill, they are adorable!! Both the boy & the pups! How old on all 3?
Red (clapping)
They are 8,7 and 5

Handsome boys!!!!  Wait until each of them has 2 steers, a heifer, a 22 rifle, a fishing pole, and a 4 wheeler!!!!!!!      You must be one busy mom! (clapping)

red

Oh wow, I didn't see all three boys! boy, they sure look ornery!!! cowz is right, you'll have your hands full.
How many puppies did you have?

Red (dog)