What is your tatoo numbering system?

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

How do you determine what number to use on your calves?  Is it simple as the letter, followed by the calf number, or is there more to yours than that.

We do the letter followed by the last year number, followed by the calf number.  Fourth calf this year would be U804

Just seeing what other methods people have.

BIGTEX

We do the # of the cow with the year code after the #.

236M cow had 236V calf this year.

farmboy

we dont do alot of that now but im thinking its going to be like (dams number is 1, calf would be 11, dam=2 calf=12 etc etc)

justintime

First calf born in 08 is 1U, second calf is 2U etc. Using the 801 U, 802U etc works if you have less than 100 cows. I also eartag each calf with it's tattoo, as well as it's sire... and the dam's tattoo and tag. Here in Canada, we also need to have specific herd Letters that must be tattooed in the ear with the number and year letter... eg  ABC 1U .  I know some tattoo the calf with the same number as the dam, but it creates problems if you have more that one cow with the same numbers. Right now I have 3 cows that are 4H, and 4 cows that are 20L.

kdhansen

We number year and order of calving...this year's first would be 081, and on...082,083...  Only calve 6-8 head per year, so this has worked great.  Don't have to remember which letter is which year when figuring ages on heifers/cows that we've held.

shortdawg

Herd prefix and consecutive numbers on total calves born. Start with 01 and go up to 99 then start over - tatoo gun only holds four letters or numbers. Ex. NR01...NR57...NR99...NR01 again.

BIGTEX

knabe said:
when 236M and 236V have calves, how do you number them separately?

One of them will probably be born dead due to large BW or TH pos. So it hasn't been an issue yet. Just kidding. You always get me thinking. Add 1 and 2 to the end of their  #. 2361A and 2362A. Does that work?