What kind of Cows do Heat Seeker Females Make?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

Thinking about flushing my Angus donor to Heat Seeker, what kind of cows do they make?  I have heard that Heatwaves don't work real well as cows but how bout his sire?  I realize I will have some TH females but I am willing to manage around the TH.  My OCC Judge(Double bred Emblazon is below, how do you think this mating will work.

The first picture is from the sale catelog 1 1/2 years ago and the second is in her working clothes, taken yesterday.  The calf picture is her 2 wk old calf out of a 3/4 simi herd bull.

Thanks,

RSC

Attachments

• Patricia-Flush_Cow.jpg
    Patricia-Flush_Cow.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 814
  • A Patty at Deltens Small.jpg
    A Patty at Deltens Small.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 828
  • A Patty Calf 2 wks.jpg
    A Patty Calf 2 wks.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 823

kane1598

We like our heatseeker and heatwave cows, they through really nice steers and are good mothers.  I think if they some really solid maternal background, they can work, but you still need to be careful on birthweights and TH.

Dusty

I've heard miking problems mainly w/Heat Seeker and HW females.  That is a beautiful Angus cow by the way.  I wouldn't taint her offspring w/clubby genetics. If she were mine I would flush her to a good PB Simmi to make some awesome F1 females.

showsteerdlux

Stupid question.. I know that they can sex semen, is there any way that after a flush that they can sex the embryos before they are implanted? Wondering because maybe in RSC's case he could keep the bull embryos and just throw out the females or use them in limited cases. Would this be economically feasible?
Sorry if these are stupid questions.

showman ne

I believe there is a way to sex embryos that involves extacting some of the dna inside and examining it. As far as economics I have no idea. Why get rid of the heifers in the first place???

shortyjock89

I just don't think it would be a good idea to use a super good momma cow like he has to produce a flush that is solely terminal animals.  I think you are really throwing away some great opportunities if you do that.  The cow looks awful maternal and just like a cow should.  I think that she would be a much better candidate for a Heat Seeker flush than would  a clubby-bred female.  I would probably flush her to a Shorthorn if it were me, something like HD Bloodstone, HD Big n Rich, CF Epic, or anything else in that sort of breeding.  But that's just me. 

Jill

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you ever flushed her to Irish Whiskey?

RSC

Jill said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but have you ever flushed her to Irish Whiskey?
No I have not flushed her to Irish Whiskey, but that is an intriguing thought.  I have a very nice ET heifer out of an Angus Cow.  I was just giving Heetseeker some thought since I had some semen.

Kind of thinking of a couple different options.

1. Dr. Business
2. Spot Light- A full brother to Mommas Boys thats a year older than him:  Proven on Angus
3. WMW- How would Who on an Angus be?
4.  We are also thinking pretting seriously of trying a flush down the line to a Lowline.
5.  New Edition-  She had a real nice Bull Calf last year out of New Look

Right now those are what were considering, What's everyone think?

RSC

SKF

We have a Heatseeker Angus cow and she is one of our best cows. She milks great, super sound  and looks great all year round.  When she was young my daughter showed her and she did real well as a show heifer.  

TJ

RSC said:
Jill said:
No I have not flushed her to Irish Whiskey, but that is an intriguing thought.  I have a very nice ET heifer out of an Angus Cow.  I was just giving Heetseeker some thought since I had some semen.

Kind of thinking of a couple different options.

1. Dr. Business
2. Spot Light- A full brother to Mommas Boys thats a year older than him:  Proven on Angus
3.  We are also thinking pretting seriously of trying a flush down the line to a Lowline.
4. New Edition-  She had a real nice Bull Calf last year out of New Look

Right now those are what were considering, What's everyone think?

RSC

Obviously, I like option #3.  Cindy Jackson sold some really nice Angus X Lowline cross females this summer that would've made super cows for grass fed beef or show steers.  One was only 48 inches tall, but she weighed 1300+ & we were in a drought!  Cindy still has a few nice Lowline X Angus cows at her place.  She's also got a really stout 3/4 Lowline X 1/4 Angus heifer that has won a few shows.  And Dori Steckley had a nice Lowline X Angus that was sired by Quartermaster.  But, Quartermaster is pretty small & Dori had a big Angus cow... The OCC genetics would probably work better with a bigger Lowline bull on them.     

Dr Business looks like he would work well on her too.  Besides it's always good when you can use your own genetics! 

PHA aside, I really like Irish Whiskey!   

Actually, it's hard to go wrong with a good Angus cow like that.

TJ

Here is a picture of Cindy Jackson's 48 inch tall - 1300+ lb. (I think she weighed almost 1400 lbs.!)  1/2 Lowline & 1/2 Angus cow that she sold to a guy in Georgia while it was at my place.  This cow was really wide from behind & wide down the top!    Keep in mind that Cindy's Angus cows are huge & more extreme than an OCC female would be.  Since Cindy's 1/2 blood cow was an absolute tank from behind, I can't imagine how massive an OCC female's offspring out of a Lowline bull like Doc Holliday would be, but they would certainly be very massive, with enough weight & some eye appeal.  Nothing miniature about this female!!     

Attachments

• DSC01081.JPG
    DSC01081.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 375

RSC

TJ said:
Here is a picture of Cindy Jackson's 48 inch tall - 1300+ lb. (I think she weighed almost 1400 lbs.!)  1/2 Lowline & 1/2 Angus cow that she sold to a guy in Georgia while it was at my place.  This cow was really wide from behind & wide down the top!    Keep in mind that Cindy's Angus cows are huge & more extreme than an OCC female would be.  Since Cindy's 1/2 blood cow was an absolute tank from behind, I can't imagine how massive an OCC female's offspring out of a Lowline bull like Doc Holliday would be, but they would certainly be very massive, with enough weight & some eye appeal.  Nothing miniature about this female!!     
Love that cow TJ, she'd be great in a commercial scenerio and I bet she probably do well bred to a clubby bull.

RSC

bcosu

i really like the idea of who made who on her. i've been really impressed with the who's i've seen that come out of big, sound, functional females like that. we had a nice one out of a higher percentage angus and it is a nice little calf. plus the whos make real good mommas, especially if they had her genetics.

KYsteer

I have had some experience with cows like these and there is nothing that seems to click better with them than a really good Simmi or Maine bull.  You bought her at Cane Ridge and just look at their program.  They make a living selling half blood weanlings and breds out of cows just like her.  You know that a 734/Macho mating would be great with her.  Even a Maine bull would work. I know people like Irish Whiskey cattle, but are afraid of the PHA, but Hara has a full sib called Free Whiskey that is clean.  That is what I would do then you can go clubby on those F1 females and get the wheelbarrow ready for all the money you will make off of those calves.

TJ

KYsteer said:
I have had some experience with cows like these and there is nothing that seems to click better with them than a really good Simmi or Maine bull.   You bought her at Cane Ridge and just look at their program.  They make a living selling half blood weanlings and breds out of cows just like her.  You know that a 734/Macho mating would be great with her.  Even a Maine bull would work. I know people like Irish Whiskey cattle, but are afraid of the PHA, but Hara has a full sib called Free Whiskey that is clean.  That is what I would do then you can go clubby on those F1 females and get the wheelbarrow ready for all the money you will make off of those calves.

I agree.  A Simmy or Maine would work very well & I really like the bulls that you mention too.  But, in 2 years when those daughter are breeding age, corn may be even higher & fuel too.  You would be able to fill a wheelbarrow today, but will you be able to do the same in 2 years when those calves hit the ground?  Or in 4 years when the 2nd generation calves are hitting the ground?  Which will be more profitable in 2-5 years... Clubby Steers or Grass Genetics or a combo of the 2?  Nobody can predict the future & I'm not going to say that I know the answer for sure.  However, I'd certainly be asking myself that question when picking a bull.  I think you've got 3 directions... 1) Maine (Whiskey) & Simmy (734) for Clubby momma's, 2) Linebreed with an OCC Angus Bull, OR 3) Try to produce registered Lowline crosses.  I think that any of those 3 scenarios would work well, it just depends upon how much things change in the next 2-5 years as to which direction would work the best.   

justme

TJ, I see your points and they are well argued, but I'm really guessing he's wanting to produce marketable show calves out of her.  I really don't know if lowline crossed with her is going to market well with the market he's aiming for.  I'd personally go a moderatly framed maine on her.  Simmi wouldn't scare me either.

Please don't take offense.

RSC

justme said:
TJ, I see your points and they are well argued, but I'm really guessing he's wanting to produce marketable show calves out of her.  I really don't know if lowline crossed with her is going to market well with the market he's aiming for.  I'd personally go a moderatly framed maine on her.  Simmi wouldn't scare me either.

Please don't take offense.
Your both right!  I for the most part want the clubby females.  However,  I've been communicating with TJ about Lowlines as she will probably be flushed that way once.  The gentlman that purchased JAG, Her New look son  get's a flush out of her and he is considering flushing her to Lowline as top quality Grass genetics is his focus.  I think it would neat to see out of her.

I will probably flush her first to Maine probably Dr. Business followed by the possibilities of Irish Whiskey,  Spotlight(Meyer X Harrietta) and than maybe New Edition.  Bulls like Macho and a Dream On or a son of his  are a possiblity, if my maine focus was to market the females.  Since I plan on trying to keep the females,  Maine or a simi bull like Spotlight with the WMW in the Pedigree is what I am shooting for.  No offense to the Simi enthusiasts as I like the simi cattle, but if I am going to have to look at the female for the next 7-10 years the look of the Maine or WMW genetics with bone, hair and the look is what I would like.

I have an Embryologist close by that I have used numerous times: However after viseting with Cowboy, I think Patty is going to go to his place.  If anyone is interested in a moderate priced flush out of her down the road let me know through PM, Email or give me a call at (402)641-6290.  I may even share a flush with you if you're not interested in a complete flush.

Thanks,

RSC