What kind of Mineral

Help Support Steer Planet:

bradycreek

I've fed vita-zine, vita-ferm, purina wind and rain, Cargill emerald, gold, bronze, fescue balancer and crystal-lix in the past.  I keep free choice loose salt in front of cattle year round. I  rotate my minerals to the time of  year. Right now High Mag minerals for grass tetney.
I've always believed that a good mineral program never cost you it will only help with gains.
Do you mix your own?
What brand do you use mostly?
thanks,
always tying to learn more
dh

kanshow

We've used Purina, Coop, Vigertone, and several other brands in the past.  Currently, we are using Sunglo minerals...  Hi Mag in the spring when they go to brome - sometimes again in the fall if we go to wheat pasture.    The rest of the year we use the regular mineral mix - sometimes alternating in the medicated mineral - like in the late summer and periodically during the winter.    We do add additional iodine in the extreme muddy conditions like we've had this year.    We add salt if they start overconsuming mineral.    We feed loose mineral. 

KYsteer

I use the Carghill Right Time Mineral.  It has different mixes to account for the time of year you feed it.  Very high in Selenium and the highest copper I have been able to find, which is important as both of these are deficient in our area.

Chap

We use Cargill Right Now minerals.  Start with Emerald with CTC at calving time, switch to Onyx 30 days prior to breeding and thru the breeding season, back to emeral until the grass runs out and then go to Bronze.

shortyjock89

Chap said:
We use Cargill Right Now minerals.  Start with Emerald with CTC at calving time, switch to Onyx 30 days prior to breeding and thru the breeding season, back to emeral until the grass runs out and then go to Bronze.

That's just what we do.  We also put out Crystalyx tubs out.  The cows eat that stuff like candy it seems like.

Will

We have a custom mix from the coop.  The mineral we put out to our stockers has went up to over $900 a ton.  The cow mineral is up over $800.

OhShOwEr

We have tried many as well, but right now the one that is working great for us is the Concept aid from Vita-firm..seems like we have a cow in heat all the time!!  They also seem to be coming in heat sooner post calving then we had before with getting our minerals mixed!! :)

showgirl2010

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Chap said:

That's just what we do.  We also put out Crystalyx tubs out.  The cows eat that stuff like candy it seems like.

Yep.  That program is a simple one to follow.  And it works for us.  For our commericals we use vigortone fescue balancer though.

Jamie

AAOK

Quite some time ago, I spent a year working for Moormans Feed, now ADM/Alliance.  I was firmly convinced there is no better mineral on the market, and still agree.  I have always kept the Special Range Mineral Free Choice, and always top dressed the show calves with the same mineral.  My choicewas the mix containing CTC.  Besides being a preventive for Anaplamosis, the CTC will also control low level infections in cows and calves.

One thing that was always highly recommended was to NEVER mix in salt, keep out loose salt, or salt blocks.  The added salt will keep the cattle from consuming the desired amount of mineral.