What makes a show a great show to attend?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Open to the World

As someone who truely wants to host an amazing and unforgettable show, I want to hear from you guys on what makes a show a good one?  What are some things that you have seen or experienced, or awards you've been given, that makes a show stand out in your mind?  What are the best memories you've had?  Any comments are welcome!!  :)

chiangus

Free Food  (lol)

All kidding aside, the biggest factors when we showed was distance.  But, if distance was not a factor, I think that shows that are run very professionally - easy weigh in, good stalls, and a  consistent judge.

MCC

WINNING IT!!!! (lol) (clapping)

All kidding a side as long as the judge is fair and consistant and there are no politics involved we always had a great time win or lose. The family time was the greatest award we could win.

SSIMMENTALS

1: Good, honest judge
2: organized, starts on time, people in charge have their ducks in a row
3: laid back, friendly atmosphere

I think with a 4-H type show it is good when each class has ribbons all the way down. It's nice for the kids to get some little something even if they didn't win big.

simmyman67

A consistent judge with NO POLITICS involved. Good prizes. Nice stalls, runs smoothly, and organized.

rtmcc

Great organization, enough stall space, good electricity, class postings out early and a good P.A. system in the barn.

Ron
<cowboy>

AAOK

I think the most important factor to make a show great, is the quality of the cattle.  Who wants to win over weak competition?  The facilities, payback and prizes sweeten the pot, but if you are showing for the money, I think you may be delusional.  The real thrill in winning, is Beating the Best!  This is why I can't get too excited about the posts regarding the County shows or even State. 

The Big Stage is where you find the Glory!

Bradenh

simmyman67 said:
A consistent judge with NO POLITICS involved. Good prizes. Nice stalls, runs smoothly, and organized.

and CLASSIFY THE STEERS, everyone loves going in a ring getting beat by cattle that are in the wrong breed division because it is class yourself

but the above post pretty much sums it up, everything flowing right and fair to everyone

GONEWEST

A knowledgeable judge that treats the kids right and tries to help the kids, makes the experience fun for all makes the show. Judges can ruin all the time and effort a show committee puts in, all the cool prizes and all the wonderful facilities. Oh and  the "Glory" does not make the show.  ::)

bruiser

Some shows need to take pointers from Badger Kickoff.  The grounds and barns are nice- the people running it where all nice - the steer judge I thought was exceptional , he took time and sorted thru all the calves regardless of who tailed it into the ring- he let the smaller kids who where having problems get set up have an even chance. The heifer judge was good to - just didn't watch him as much.

Showgirl33

I would agree on a good judge...I always have more fun when a judge comments on showmanship and talks to the kids out in the show ring..it makes a friendly atmosphere. I would also say a great show needs to have friendly staff members that are easy to get along with. I always hated going to shows where the people in charge were rude and inconsiderate! I also like when shows get started on time!