What my piggy bank looks like after leaving the feed store?

Help Support Steer Planet:

brahmergirl

Here it is!

Sad isn't it?  I hope no one else's looks this bad!

piggybankimage.jpg

;D

cowz

That gives new meaning to "sucked up"! ;D

Joe Boy

The bad part for us in the drought area is that we did not get hay put up and have been feeding cubes.....

I had a barn full of hay in 2005 and ended up buy 50 round bales and 10 large square bales. 

I did not put up one bale in 2006 and it has been tough.  I am hoping that we can make a hay crop this year.  I want to fill my barn.

brahmergirl

Joe Boy,

I know how you feel.  Every year we've had to scrounge to find hay and buy it as we've never had hay meadows, only crop ground.  This year when we bought our new place we had 30 acres that my father in law suggested planting oats and sowing lespedeza in afterwards.  Am I glad we did it!  This has been our one and only small blessing on the farm.  For some reason during the drought we would get these little rain showers on our place but my in laws didn't get a drop a few miles over.  We thought our lespedeza was fried and my father in law went out to check on it and couldn't believe his eyes!  We had hoped to get 20 round bales off of it and it made 71!  Like I said, this was our only small blessing we've  had. 

The down side of our farm this year was the drought so our pond dried and had to water some, neighbor wanted the fence tore out and we agreed to help replace it, they had it all lined up to be replaced.  That was in August.  Still no fence.  Operating with a hot fence.  Can't find anyone to come put the fence back, all whole mile of it.  :p  And our calf crop was a whopping two out of 6 cows/heifers.  Can't figure out for sure what.  Had heifers checked, had bulls checked both fine just no calves.  Then with this wonderful freezin season we've had the calves we do have had their ears freeze last week.  They're my son's show stock by the way.  The heifer has one ear about an inch and a half shorter than the other!  And the roof blew off our barn this weekend, so when it rains it pours!!!!!

We also bought a corn stove to save on propane bill.  Now price of corn went up. 

I just keep reminding my husband it's only money.... We really didn't need a new truck or trailer, we just WANTED it!  (lol)

red

Wow, brahmergirl - you're right, when it rains it pours! We've had years like that. The last 3 Sunday's here have just been rough. See,s like everything that can good wrong does.
Too bad about the calving issue. Have you had them check for Lepto & other diseases? Also check you mineral program. If you moved you may be lacking something.

Red