What other animals beside cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

What else do you raise or own besides cattle?

• cattle

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • horses/mules

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • donkeys

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • hogs

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • lamas/alpacas/beefpaca

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • sheep/ goats

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • dogs

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • cats

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • poultry

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • others like rabbits, fish...

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

red

What else do you raise besides cattle? Any other livestock or pets? What else do you or your kids show?
Thought this was fun!

Red

shortyjock89

Other than the cattle, my sister and I show sheep for a couple people at some county fairs.  My sister does a lot more of it than I do, and she does a really good job.  I've shown pigs a couple times too, but I'm not great at it, and pigs make me mad LOL. 

dutch pride

The kids (only one young enough now) show hogs as well as cattle. We have done very well at the fair with hogs but they are not as much fun as cattle all though they take a lot less work. Grand Barrow and Reserve Barrow and Gilt last year. ;D

kanshow

I took the poll as animals shown.. and I forgot chickens. 

The kids have been showing sheep, pigs, & cattle.  This year, one is going to show her horse and the other is going to exhibit some chickens - he loves those things.      We also show dogs.

shortyjock89

We used to have chickens for eggs.  We once had a hen that we should have shown, or at least thats what a poultry expert told us.  They mostly look the same to me, but it seemed the broader and stouter chickens had more eggs and they were more uniform.

I forgot to add that I used to exhibit Beefpacas all across the country.  This was, of course, before all the drama brought about by the quest for the purple roan beefpaca.  It caused such a rift in the association and the shows were never the same again.

kanshow

Chickens have been added!    I have no idea what constitutes a good chicken...They eat, drink, poop, and lay eggs.    They've also provided a bit of fun for the farm dog. 

shortyjock89

Yeah, I'm not sure what makes them good either...but the dog sure did like to play with them whenever one got out.

red

Olson Family- is it me or did you change your name? It took me a while to realize it if you did!  :)))

Red

garett

Well besides the 85 pairs we have
We have 5 quarter horses--most are from my grandpa because he raises Hancock/Driftwood bred quarter horses
and other than that 2 dogs-the corgi and the old beagle
about 10 cats-our favorite the bobtail Chester though
and 2 old hens, they dont lay anymore so they just hang out in the barn
had a pig once named Hammy-I think you can tell what happened to him!! lol

[flash=200,200]http://Garett[/flash]

Jill

We started off raising hogs, back when you could still do that on the family farm, we raised feeder pigs for Farmland back when Farmland still finished out their own hogs.  Then we found show cattle, right now we raise cattle, dogs and chickens, we also have or have had cats (barn) donkeys, pigs, peacocks, turkeys ducks and geese, my nephew showed sheep, but we didn't let him keep them here they lived at the breeders house, they tend to die at our place.

Rocky Hill Simmental

We have cattle, horses, goats, dogs, and cats.

The goats are more pets than anything else. We were breeding them but we had a problem with them not breeding back and people kept telling us they were too fat and then when we would try to feed them less the kept breaking down the fences and going on a rampage eating all our flowers. Then one day they discovered the creep feeder. They pawed at it alot and a lot of ended up on the ground and they were getting fatter than ever. Then most of them took a trip to the salebarn. I kept two as pets (nanny kid pair) because I bottle fed the nanny and she was the only one with enough sense to stay in the pen. We don't have a billy goat anymore and the two goats I have are butterball fat. lol

ba

We have Angus.herford  beef/1 jersey-dairy/Shropshire-sheep/1=lamas/angora-goats/jack/1 mare/chikens-ducks/
used to raise Hampshire hogs but we get whatever for the fair. lamas is to help on coyote-dogs and chikens for
meet or fair. The horse is for home only.There for awhile between both kids they had 11 beef at the fair with the
other livestock and one year had 13 including 3 cow/calf pairs and left one other pair home.

farmboy

i showed a lamb one time...

i dont raise chickens, more like my uncle just goes out and buys tons of em for no reason, we dont eat them, we dont sell them, they give my show cattle lice, really has no common sence, also drags in cats, YUCK, i do have quite a few dogs though...  (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (cow) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog)

renegade

I have shown horses, sheep, and cattle.  I have raised almost everything else on the list.  I havent done alpacas or donkeys.

Diamond

We have show horses along with our cattle, as well as dogs,cats,pigs,a lizard,and one lone chicken thats older then dirt.

Rustynail

We don't raise anything else, but we race horses. That is what my father and sister do for a living.  We own about 20 and train about 30 for other people.  They are quarter horses and thoroughbreds.