What Products do you use for No Fit Shows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

What products do you use on the hair for no fit shows?  Anyone use Zoom Bloom?

Mike

shortyjock89

We've used Zoom Bloom, used it a lot a few years back.  We'd cut it with Kleen Sheen and it worked pretty good.  Now, we start with Kleen Sheen/Liniment, then follow with either Olive Oil Sheen or Pink Oil.  We'll start on the legs with show foam, and use a scrubbber on them until all the foam is worked in, then we blow the whole calf for a LONNNG time, slowly adding more foam and working it in the legs.  If you put enough time into it, you can get a set of legs to look pretty much fit with show foam and a scrubber.

Dero

In some cases I have relyed on my former life when I showed dairy cattle.  I will use rosin powder and a hair dryer to heat the rosin to get the hair to hold after I have worked in the foam with a scrubbie as Justin described.  The rosin powder will give the hair the extra hold if you need it.  When I'm using the rosin I'll use my old Denman topline brush to work the hair.

shortyjock89

stangs13 said:
What do you mean by scrubber justin? One of the plastic blue brushes?

Or red, or green, or black.  It's what you would use to scrub the soap in the calves when you're washing.  We also use it to train hair. It does a great job on stubborn hair.

stangs13

Alright I got you. I think I know what your talking about!! I heard from a jock recently about a bar of something or maybe some kind of wax/gel that they use instead of adhesives anybody know what I am talking about?

ROAD WARRIOR

stangs13 said:
How do you use the glycerine bars? Are these the same ones you use for leather?

They were used "back in the day". Before Sullivans sold everything you can imagine and prior to adhesives. We used the bars to bone legs usually taking a bar and working it against the hair on the legs making sure to work it into the hair as we went. This would make the hair kind of stiff and somewhat "gummy" and you could comb the legs up and it would hold the hair for a while. Heat was really hard on  it as it kind of melted when the body heat and hot temperatures combined. Keep in mind back when we were using this there really wasn't alot of hair to work with like there is today in the show steers. If your steer has a substantial amount of hair I doubt that you would need it. I have a homebrew for calves with alot of hair that will all but eliminate the need for glue if you have a few days to work it. I might share if you PM me. RW

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
You youngins don't know how lucky you are when they got them spray can's of adhesive, an they can be alittle messy , but grab one of them old bars of glycerine an pick a hot day about Iowa State fair an try a little of that stuff out , you would have it all over you, an then a little sweat off your forhead, it wasn't fun an didn't work as good.  I might try that recipe RW if you get a chance, might be gone a few days this week.  Jamie

ROAD WARRIOR

I had several requests for my homebrew, I tried to answer them all if I didn't get to you let me know. RW

CJC

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I had several requests for my homebrew, I tried to answer them all if I didn't get to you let me know. RW
Can you send it to me too. Thanks CJC

simtal

doesn't make sense that for a no-fit show you can use a glycerine bar but not glue.  you cant have real guns but can have a bb gun? both can kill...