What should i breed this heifer to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Newton

This is a current picture of her, Shes sired by Pale Face out of a Who Made Who cow. Shes a March calf. She can be registered as a Mainetainer.

We were thinking of breeding her to I-80 for calving ease and being able to register the calf. What bull would you reccommend for her, possibly thinking of Jesse James but not sure? We want Live calf (calving ease), something to add bone and hair and something to add some extention to her neck?

Our first ever calf is suppose to be due sunday so this is new territory for us, im only 16 and im the one that makes most of the desicions on breeding and getting everything prepared and contact people. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0227.JPG
    DSC_0227.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 179

crzyrocknT

We had good luck with Jesse James, both heifers were THC, Bojo hfr had a 55-60# calf, and the Hardline had a 65# calf.  Both were up quick to nurse.

Newton

does jesse james add extention?  and the only debate is that it might be easier to get I-80 in my situation Thanks!

OH Breeder

There are few bulls I would consider for her first calf.
Major's Money Man- small but nice calves
TLM Bouncer-can't get any safer than that
Ali- Clone- Ali in my opinion doesn't change one dramatically but will compliment the female

also consider angus
Northern Improvement- would make fancy replacement and a marketable steer
SS Traveler T510- come really small but grow like weeds and have an adequate amount of muscle
OCC LEgend- makes them soggy deep bodied

Cattle Cards

Someone I came across had been to Hawkeye Breeders and looked over Jesse James.  I saw a picture.  Jesse James was thick, clean fronted, and all four feet pointed in the same direction.  Actually was said that to look at him, you wouldn't expect him to be a calving ease sire.  Added bonus is that he's 27.44% Chi (#359468) making his calves 13.72% Chi and eligible for ACA Shows & Sales.

Newton

Cattle Cards said:
Someone I came across had been to Hawkeye Breeders and looked over Jesse James.  I saw a picture.  Jesse James was thick, clean fronted, and all four feet pointed in the same direction.  Actually was said that to look at him, you wouldn't expect him to be a calving ease sire.  Added bonus is that he's 27.44% Chi (#359468) making his calves 13.72% Chi and eligible for ACA Shows & Sales.

i saw a picture of him too

titan

I would breed her to Doc Sexed Heifer. I have gotten some really nice, low birth weight, calve out of him. Jake's Proud Jazz may work too. but semen is expensive.

jbzdad

we are just finishing calving out a dozen chi, maine and angus cross heifers all bred to I -80... calves have been very reasonable .. 80-84 pounds ... weighed not guessed.. a few have required some assistance but no cow killers...
I know it is early but the calves look nice ... most noticeable they are long necked and clean fronted

I think he may add a little rib

If you are willing to watch her in an appropriate fashion when she approaches her due date then I would consider I-80

frostback

Newton said:
This is a current picture of her, Shes sired by Pale Face out of a Who Made Who cow. Shes a March calf. She can be registered as a Mainetainer.

We were thinking of breeding her to I-80 for calving ease and being able to register the calf.

If a registered calf is a factor not sure I80 would be a bad choice. We have had 2 as of now, small and lively. Have more due in the next month.

jbzdad

Regarding maine registration... I-80 is listed purebred... if your heifer is 1/2 or greater then her heifer could be shown as Maine (3/4 or greater)...  if less than 1/2 would register as maintainer and will need to show against the monopolies etc.. just sayin in case you forgot

Newton

jbzdad said:
Regarding maine registration... I-80 is listed purebred... if your heifer is 1/2 or greater then her heifer could be shown as Maine (3/4 or greater)...  if less than 1/2 would register as maintainer and will need to show against the monopolies etc.. just sayin in case you forgot

she can be registered as a mainetainer, her percentage would be like 32 percent so shed be a mainetainer, but havent registered her yet, not exactly sure how to

jbzdad

Is the cow registered?  are you an amaa member?is paleface registered Maine? those will be your maine questions as you proceed ...

Newton

jbzdad said:
Is the cow registered?   are you an amaa member?is paleface registered Maine? those will be your maine questions as you proceed ...

I'm not an amaa member
the dam of her is a Who Made Who x Commercial.
Pale face is registered as a Half Maine

if im right, according to this, since pale face is 1/2 maine and even if the cow is commercial the heifer would be 1/4 maine which she would be a mainetainer. and with the dam haveing who made who on her side the heifer woud get 1/4 of the % of who made who(25% maine) so shed get 6.25% Right???? so overall she would be a 31.25% Maine. Right ??? Im new to registering anything other than a shorthorn steer i had

http://www.maine-anjou.org/pdfs/UPGRADING_CHART.pdf