What should the microscope be set on to veiw semen?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

can you just adjust the setting until you see mobility or something? I know when I looked at the sperm during our bull's breeding exam we just adjusted until it came into view. I guess maybe Cowboy could tell you if there is an actual setting or not.

Red

DL

What are you looking for and what kind of scope do you have? Motility is assessed under low power (see the little buggers wiggle) - while morphology (if they were horses it would be conformation! ;D) is viewed under higher power.

vcc

(cow) We have the kids scope. 100X, 450x, and 900x magnification. Didn't know if we were doing something wrong... Couldn't see movement on any of the settings, or even the little swimmers not swimming. Didn't know if the drop of the nitro in the tank killed the straws or if out timing was just wrong on breeding.

DL

So basically you are  looking for motility from a straw of semen? Did you handle it the "usual way" ie warm it up etc and then put a drop on the slide? On low power you should see the iittle buggers swimming - not individually but like a swarm of bees - you may have to adjust the up and down (bringing the lens closer and farther away from the slide (I assume you put them on a slide?)....

vcc

yes, we tried it on a slide, with a cover and without....we assumed we would see each one single like we did when the vet tested the bull. I guess our best bet is to take the tank to the vet and have him test a straw...Thanks for the help.

DL

Good plan - microscopes are funny things if you aren't used to them and the magnifications on yours seem a little different to me - is this a "special bull" you are testing?

vcc

Nope, nothing special. We tried the old straws, Wild turkey(couldn't even pay someone to use it), Stout and  Sugar ray. Stuff no one even knows who they are anymore. Our tank dropped to 2 cm and we were worried that the straws were not viable any more. We have always wanted to check each straw after the job was done. Just for our own info. Just trying to narrow in why the cows are being so hard to breed these past few years.

DL

ah - Stout as in the Maine bull? Take your scope with you to the vet and ask him/her to show you how to use it. When we were doing BSE's we always kept the slides warm prior to adding the drop of semen to check for motility - cold shock can slow the buggers down right away. You also might want to add a drop of stain to help with the ability to see 'em. In regards to Stout - I have never been able to get a cow pregnant AI with the Maine bull Stout -  always wanted a Stout because of all the Cornerstone dam's sired by Stout - but different vendors, lots etc just couldn't make it work. In theory as long as there is nitrogen in the tank they should stay OK.....good luck

red

DL- I still have some Stout semen too. I did get a bull calf once from a mating but can't say he lived up to my expectations.
Good luck VCC. Be careful w/ some of that old semen, you never know who might like some Suger Ray!

Red