What Simmental Heifer Bull to use on Chopper x Angus Heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

formersteerjock

I  have three Chopper halfblood heifers that I just weaned.  I know it will be Dec. or January of next year before I breed these heifers but give me some suggestions as what simmental bull to consider using on these halfbloods.  I have bred several clubbies but I"m new to the simmental breed.  I have considerd A Step Up, Trademark, Grandmaster, Hooks Shear Force.  I know I could use an angus bull but I figure a three quarter blood would be worth more money than a quarter blood. Give me your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

bryan6807

in due time seems to work for calving ease, not sure what your females bring to the table as far as BW goes. you can always go the safer route and use a angus bull.

jd720

I used Grandmaster on a Starpower x The Bookie heifer and a Trademark X Hannibal heifer and they came unassisted. They may not grow as fast as some of the calves by other Simmy bulls but they have a good look with plenty of bone and good hair for being 3/4 Simmy.

WKYIronMike

Sand Ranch Hand may work well. Would like to try the Shear Force son, Long's Shear Envy on a type of females like these as well. Like Grandmaster as well but he's about to common for me, I like looking for something a bit different. A lot like Upgrade now. There is a lot of calving ease Simmentals now so good luck with your choice.

Davidsonranch

I bred 4 halfblood heifers to Grandmaster and I will use him over and over again.  All calves born unassisted and under 65 pounds.  The vigor is incredible.  Two were up and sucking before the heifer could even lick the bag off of them.  Hearty, healthy and all look good.  I've heard stories of their slow growth, but for now, i'm not buying it as the proof is in the pudding!  My goal is to make some nice females, and I want something to outcross some day with the 1/2 a million Dream On sons out there.  I too love and will be using Upgrade, but for heifers, I'm hooked on Grandmaster hands down.

firesweepranch

Davidsonranch said:
I bred 4 halfblood heifers to Grandmaster and I will use him over and over again.  All calves born unassisted and under 65 pounds.  The vigor is incredible.  Two were up and sucking before the heifer could even lick the bag off of them.  Hearty, healthy and all look good.  I've heard stories of their slow growth, but for now, i'm not buying it as the proof is in the pudding!  My goal is to make some nice females, and I want something to outcross some day with the 1/2 a million Dream On sons out there.  I too love and will be using Upgrade, but for heifers, I'm hooked on Grandmaster hands down.

I have to agree, and we even use him on cows. Nothing common over here! We sold a Club King two year first calf heifer that had a Grandmaster bull calf, 30 days, on her side. That bull calf sold the cow as much as she did, he was thick and flat out awesome. Lots of looks on the cow and calf, and she ended up being on of the higher sellers in the sale. We will use him again and again...

WKYIronMike

Did not mean that the Grandmaster's were just common cattle or "plain". Meant to say that he is being used so..... much it is really getting common to see many of them and I usually don't like just lining up and following others. For an example DREAM ON, everyone has 1. I did with Dream On and I'll breed some with Grandmaster because they are great proven bulls, but I like to look for different mating's and not just follow the trend. Again there are many nice calving ease Simmental Bulls. Most go with the proven, and rightfully so but the others need trying out as well. A lot depends on the experience and expertise of the farmer, if he or she feel they know their cattle well enough to go with a less proven or new bull.
I think Grandmaster is a very proven bull that will work nicely on those females, I haven't seen to many GM's that didn't look well. 

firesweepranch

formersteerjock said:
I  have three Chopper halfblood heifers that I just weaned.  I know it will be Dec. or January of next year before I breed these heifers but give me some suggestions as what simmental bull to consider using on these halfbloods.  I have bred several clubbies but I"m new to the simmental breed.  I have considerd A Step Up, Trademark, Grandmaster, Hooks Shear Force.  I know I could use an angus bull but I figure a three quarter blood would be worth more money than a quarter blood. Give me your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Some thoughts on your other bull selections; A Step Up is new, but I bought some semen on him to give him a try. I am just not sure yet what to use him on, so I am going to wait to see what is out there. Remember, he is a half blood, so you would end up with half bloods on that cross.
Trademark can make some fantastic heifers, and he has been around a while.
Shear Force makes some outstanding females, but they are not very showy. If you are looking for heifers that might be able to go on to a career in the show ring, I would look elsewhere. If you are strictly looking for breeding females, use him! We have several Shear Force and Pacesetter (Shear Force son) girls in production, and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
Some other thoughts, and a new bull worth sampling, is Combustible. No calves out there yet out of him, but he is affordable and had some really nice EPD's along with a good pedigree. You can get his semen through Cattle Visions. He stood reserve behind Broker, and looked good. It is a little close breeding though, since he is a Steel Force son as is Chopper.
Built Right is always a safe bet, and puts some pretty females out there. We use him some in heifers. Once again, going back to the Dream On.
Upgrade is another good choice, but like WKYIronMike said, there are a bunch of them out there (because he is good and throws some nice calves). 
A final consideration is Make It Rain. We have seen some really nice babies out of him. We have a 3/4 blood bull calf out of him, that is going to be good this summer. Our bull calf is out of a Collins Macho x angus x draft pick cow, and Make It Rain really cleaned up her neck and shoulder and deepened her rib. He is a good out cross option.
Some other heifer safe bulls out there that do not get used enough; Movin Forward (we have had two and like them both), Ellington Dominator (an Olie son) is carried by ABS, and we have had two of these and love them! He will soften a cow and give her rib in our experience, but keep the power.
Hope that helps a little! We run a very small herd, so every genetic match matters to us!

Davidsonranch

Another bull I have been hearing great things about is the simmy bull UNO MAS.  I think he is also calving ease.  I am going to look at a couple this weekend.

BLRanch

mark tenenbaum said:
What about Trauches Tailgater bull-Low Bw very cool looking-is he too closely related? O0

The Tailgater bull is a Duracell (Steel Force son)  out of Miley Cotton Tail. If I'm not mistaken Duracell is a full brother to In Dew Time.

Till-Hill

In Dew Time is a Dream On X Lucky Dice. Buddy mine kept back a few Chopper heifers. They were small framed and even smaller pelvis area. If mine I'd use a highy proven angus bull to use on them that could add some frame and some maternal calving ease.

Shear Force great CE but to small. In Dew Time not enough CE. Trademark works but not a bet the ranch CE bull.

Grandmaster is ok but on Chopper you need some grow bred back in. My vote is angus on them IMO

korytm

Davidsonranch said:
Another bull I have been hearing great things about is the simmy bull UNO MAS.  I think he is also calving ease.  I am going to look at a couple this weekend.
We bought some sexed heifer semen on this bull to breed 3 heifers to this year. Can you let me know what you thought of the calves . :)
Thanks so much!!

insjockey

korytm said:
Davidsonranch said:
We bought some sexed heifer semen on this bull to breed 3 heifers to this year. Can you let me know what you thought of the calves . :)
Thanks so much!!
Had a Simbravieh heifer AI'd this same way this week.

TWR

Some thoughts on your other bull selections; A Step Up is new, but I bought some semen on him to give him a try. I am just not sure yet what to use him on, so I am going to wait to see what is out there. Remember, he is a half blood, so you would end up with half bloods on that cross.
[/quote]

WS A Step Up is a Purebred according to the ASA's animal search.  He is a Ebony's Grandmaster out of a Macho cow.

CCW

I think there are 2 Step Up bulls one is Purebred bull -WS A Step Up that is a Grandmaster X Macho cow.
The other Step Up bull is an Upgrade son that is now a halfblood after orginally being a Purebred by Upgrade X Meyer734 cow. I believe there was an issue dna typing back to his mother.

BadgerFan

Till-Hill said:
In Dew Time not enough CE.

In Dew Time has a CE EPD in the top 3% of the breed at a .95 accuracy.  That's pretty darn high calving ease and highly, highly proven.

firesweepranch

TWR said:

WS A Step Up is a Purebred according to the ASA's animal search.  He is a Ebony's Grandmaster out of a Macho cow.
[/quote]

Your right,I was thinking of Heads Up. Not Step Up. Sorry for the confusion...

firesweepranch

CCW said:
I think there are 2 Step Up bulls one is Purebred bull -WS A Step Up that is a Grandmaster X Macho cow.
The other Step Up bull is an Upgrade son that is now a halfblood after orginally being a Purebred by Upgrade X Meyer734 cow. I believe there was an issue dna typing back to his mother.
Your right about him not DNA typing back, but he is Heads Up, not Step Up. I get the names confused! Age is sinking in.....  ;)