what sire?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortyJ13

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
That's true, but those bulls will make the heifer even smaller.  I think Gizmo or Deadwood is the way to go on her myself.

Yeah, i definantly dont want to reduce her frame. the only bad thing a judge has ever had to say about her was to do with her height... Right now i'm really likeing Deadwood, but i cant find a picture of Gizmo on the web anywhere. Anyone know of a site where i could look at him?

BCCC

ShortyJ13 said:
That's true, but those bulls will make the heifer even smaller.  I think Gizmo or Deadwood is the way to go on her myself.

Yeah, i definantly dont want to reduce her frame. the only bad thing a judge has ever had to say about her was to do with her height... Right now i'm really likeing Deadwood, but i cant find a picture of Gizmo on the web anywhere. Anyone know of a site where i could look at him?
SEK genetics

TJ

DCC_Cattle said:
The way I always look at it is....it is better to get a small live calf the first time around and then go for the gold the second time.

Ladies & gentlemen, we have ourselves a winner!  I couldn't have said it better myself.  (thumbsup)  (thumbsup)  (thumbsup)

I am no Shorthorn expert, but I think that there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread.  I really look the looks of Gizmo & Deadwood and that's probably what I would do.  Yes, Gizmo is $100, but so what... you get what you pay for.  I also think that Wymore would be a real good option too.  Also, I like the idea of JPJ.  JPJ might make a small one, but a small good one is better than a "tremendous" dead one.  Actually, a good small one may be better than a tremendous live one, with $6-$7 or higher corn starring us in the face.   

shortyjock89

showsteerdlux said:
TJ said:
with $6-$7 or higher corn starring us in the face.   
Saw it got to $8 today. small cattle are lookin better every day.

That's what I'm sayin...you still interested in those embryos? PM me if you want.

Jill

I like the Wymore suggestion the best. Clean, proven calving ease @ an affordable price, agree with CAB on this one.  I wouldn't use anything that will downsize her, and unless you have money just laying around, I can't justify 100 semen either.

OH Breeder

Jill said:
I like the Wymore suggestion the best. Clean, proven calving ease @ an affordable price, agree with CAB on this one.  I wouldn't use anything that will downsize her, and unless you have money just laying around, I can't justify 100 semen either.

So flush her with 100 semen. Its investment. you will get the peice of mind that you do not have to sit with her all night waiting on her to calve. You willl get one that will grow and perform. And he is Consistent. Rare today to find a bull that is consistent. I look at each straw of semen as an investment. whether its 10 or 100. They both mean the same to me. I know I can use Gizmo without an issue.

shortyjock89

Idk...I would feel a little leery about flushing a heifer.  Maybe flush her to Gizmo next year....

OH Breeder

Idk...I would feel a little leery about flushing a heifer.  Maybe flush her to Gizmo next year....

SORRY she is a heifer. I had a mental gap. WOW.
I would not flush a heifer. BUT I would use GIZMO!

shortyjock89

Ohhhh, I figured you just had a brain fart, as I can recall you warning against flushing heifers at some point  (lol)

Looks like Gizmo is pretty popular...Wymore is pretty good too, and cheaper...I'm still standing by Deadwood.  THE ONLY reason I'm not using him is that I have a half brother to him as my clean up bull, and he is very similar in his make up to Deadwood.  Good luck with breeding the calf.

TJ

I've never used Gizmo, but he looks pretty good & he obviously is PROVEN.  PROVEN means a lot to me.  If he's all that & a bag of chips, $100 is nothing, especially if you could end up with a calf worth $3,000+ & you don't have to assist it. 

OFS... Deadwood is a 1/2 brother to your bull?  The bull that I keep singing about over & over in my head?  ;)  ;D  (lol)    Didn't know that, but I do see the resemblance.  I knew I liked your bull for some reason... if your bull turns out to have some calving ease, you may have a sleeping giant on your hands, IMHO!  Can I place the first semen order?   ;)   

M Bar

When I looked at here pedigree, I see 3 things that stick out from a calving ease standpoint

1.  Bloodstone is a +7.7 BW sire with low accuracy
2.  On the bottom side, GR Combo is back two generations at +6.9 BW
3.  Steermaker is on the bottom side as well with a "decent" BW, but you can see some calving issues with him due to the shape of the calf

Personally, I prefer a safe bet.  Find a cavling ease red angus or angus.  The potential for a live calf is greater if you use a low BW, high accuracy bull on the heifer.  Until she spits out the first calf, you have little idea of her ability to calve without difficulty.  There is no value in a dead calf.  Let her be a mom with a live, marketable calf, even if it sells at the salebarn.  If you figure what money you have in the heifer up to her first time cavling, you need to ensure some reclaimation of dollars.  take a look at the first live calf, decide what you think the cow put into the calf and what the sire put into the calf from a phenotype standpoint.  Make a decision on her second go around, and breed accordingly.  I have witnessed too many "non-seasoned" cattle folks try to hit a home run on the first go around.  Had too many calls from folks needing assistance pulling those calves that turned out prolapses, C - Sections, and dead calves.  There is nothing more sad than seeing a good show heifer as a two year old in the pasture with no calf.  They usually get fat, and never develop a good udder due to loosing their first born. 

Show Heifer

Okie Dokie was mentioned: He is PHA positive. So wouldn't do that.

Heifer bred to low accuracy bull or questionable - $15 for straw of semen. Bragging rights you have a heifer bred to XYZ
Sleepless nights waiting for her to calve - grumpy attitude during day, low grades, unimpressed boss at work.
Dead heifer and Dead "champion potential" calf - $2500 for heifer, vet bill ($100-300) nothing to show for sleepless nights
Heifer bred to high accuracy calving ease bull - $20 (most bulls) to $100 (Gizmo)
Seeing a calf up and nursing wagging its tail - PRICELESS

Remember - YOUR job when taking on a heifer is to make her into a cow. That is hard to do when you kill her or have a c-section first time around.

Personally, I would go T510 (angus) . Very nice calves, small but grow like crazy, might get a crazy color, and he throws thickness but not neccessarily frame, and they have small heads and small shoulders (think round hole, square peg theory).
Look him up....I think you will like him!

Dale

How about Homedale Blizzard--calf might be white and should be born easily.  Waukaru Goldmine has eye appeal and is also an easy calving bull.  KL Double Duty is truly a bull to breed heifers to--he is not tall or especially clubby, yet his calves are useful.

knabe

M Bar said:
When I looked at here pedigree, I see 3 things that stick out from a calving ease standpoint

1.  Bloodstone is a +7.7 BW sire with low accuracy
2.  On the bottom side, GR Combo is back two generations at +6.9 BW
3.  Steermaker is on the bottom side as well with a "decent" BW, but you can see some calving issues with him due to the shape of the calf

for maine lovers,

here's a bull with a BW of 1.3, PC metric.  notice the high BW's in his pedigree really close up.

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=188

notice his sire, covino III is 5.6, but a lot of those were probably on angus, so number should be bigger?  his sire, novino is 6.2, again probably low.  covino III's dam is 3.1

pc metric's dam is JB TC JB F785 and she's -1.5.  her sire, dalton is 6.7.  dalton's sire, universe 15 is probably named that for a reason and he's 6.9 JB's sire, cunia is 2.8, a noted fullblood calving ease sire.  JB's dam is -0.1, and her sire bysantin is 4.5.

pc metric, along with being double bred pc metric, is double bred smithbuilt with magic in there, as well as being irish whiskey pha free, though with horns.  hopefully pendleton's hock set is decent and he can throw it and moderate birth weights being so tightly bred, the big fear being the obvious, milk on irish whiskey.  oh well, one can only try.