What They Grew Up To Be

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Walks Alone calf out of a Meyer GD. Photo at birth, weaning, and at our county show in mid Jan (weighed 1050 at that time).  He got a little coarser shouldered and shorter-necked than I expected.  Super thick and good, bodied but not really as big as I hoped.  He turned out on his front feet as a baby, but that never got worse at all.  He's not a ballerina, but he moves fine for what he is.

Attachments

• WA-Calf.jpg
    WA-Calf.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 551
  • WA-Calf-2.jpg
    WA-Calf-2.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 543
  • Mars-County-1.jpg
    Mars-County-1.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 690

chambero

Smooth Sailing x Kadabra.  Best haired calf I've ever had.  Identical in size to the red calf, beat him in class at our county and was Reserve Grand as a 1050 lb calf (they both weighed the same).  We had him at Fort Worth and he looked great, but I weighed him in too heavy and got him at the bottom of Class 3 when in hindsight he could have even been at the top of Class 1.  He was a little too small framed for Class 3. Jensen stared him down on the way in, on the set-up, and on the way out.  Only calf he paid attention to that he didn't pull.  Headed to San Antonio.

This calf wound up placing 4th in the Class 1 AOBs at San Antonio and made the sale.  We had to pull him down pretty good to get there, but he was too small framed to go any bigger.  My 10 year old was grinning like a possum when the judge pulled him.  This was his first time to make the sale at a major.

Attachments

• Romulus-1.jpg
    Romulus-1.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 516
  • Romulus 2.JPG
    Romulus 2.JPG
    891.2 KB · Views: 543
  • Romulus-Res-Gr-1.jpg
    Romulus-Res-Gr-1.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 636
  • Romulus-SA-BK12-8-8196.jpg
    Romulus-SA-BK12-8-8196.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 501

chambero

Sunseeker steer we sold to Rackranch.  He went on to win his class at a county show down around Corpus Christi. He's posted photos on here before of him slicked off.  Turned into a really stout calf that finished out at 1300 lbs +.  Maybe he'll add his final photo here.

Attachments

• Sunseeker-2.jpg
    Sunseeker-2.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 562
  • Sunseeker-1.jpg
    Sunseeker-1.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 530

DCC show cattle

Mr. Chambers no reason for me to even post you've heard me idolize those boys and your program! I sure appreciate the chance to work for yall this year and sure ready to get back up there to see the babies around houston time. Guys the chambers family is seriously one of the most honest programs around!

twistedhshowstock

I couldnt agree with Kevin more...we bought a steer from Mr Chambers this year...bred pretty much just like the black calf above(Smooth Sailing x Kadabra) and they look erily similar to...has been a great steer and Mr Chambers was a pleasure to work with and keep in touch with.  When we went to pick up that steer we got the opportunity to go through the fall borns still on their mamas and there was a pasture full of good quality calves and I think there could be several real players coming out of that group.  Great guy raising great cattle and doing it all honestly with no frills, what you see is what you get and he is going to be straight up and honest with you about it.
On a side note, Kevin doesnt do a bad job either.  Bought a good heifer from him last year and he was pretty good to work with also.

chambero

Thank you for the kind comments.  It helps me learn more each year to look at before and after photos and I would encourage everyone to post these kinds of photos.

wyatt

both of the steers are tanks i wish i had one! theyre a fuzz short necked but wow!

Aussie

Thanks for the photos Chambero. I as like to see cattle progress and to see a pro turn them out.  (thumbsup)

chambero

Here's another calf we raised and showed.  Meet "Little Ben".  I can't take credit for him - he was all my youngest son's idea.  Little Ben was a little skinny the first half of his life.  But he was unusally gentle.  Holt (who was 8 at the time) could walk up to him in the pasture - grab an ear or put his arm around his neck - and lead him around.  We had the "but he doesn't have a butt" discussion a million times, but Holt insisted I wean him as a show calf.  I figured well we could let him take him to country, so I relented.  I tried to kick him out of the barn a dozen times between weaning and validation, but Holt wouldn't have any part of it.

Well, Little Ben just got better and better.  Grew better than any of our other calves this year.  Wound up finishing around 1300 lbs and we showed him as a lightweight Simmental at Houston we he placed 8th and made the sale.  Needless to say, I've gladly had to listen to "I told you so" many, many times over the last two weeks.

All in all, we had what I consider to be a very good year.  Reserve Grand at our county and made the sale with two of four steers in the barn. I added a photo of the black calf above that wound up placing 4th in the Class 1 AOBs at San Antonio.  A third (the Hereford pictured above) was one spot out at San Antonio, but he had been too heavy too long and was starting to break down.  The red steer just wasn't pretty enough on the move at Houston to get pulled.

Attachments

• Little-Ben-Baby.jpg
    Little-Ben-Baby.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Little-Ben-Baby-2.jpg
    Little-Ben-Baby-2.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Little-Ben-Houston.jpg
    Little-Ben-Houston.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 354

DCC show cattle

hard work pays off and goes to show that in todays world we can feed thickness into one but the structure and style is there from the get go.

rackranch

Sorry Mr. Chambero, somehow this thread slipped by me until today.
A pic of steer at 1050lbs, 1260lbs, and slicked off and finished at county weighing 1315lbs..
Thanks again for you kindness to our Family

chambero said:
Sunseeker steer we sold to Rackranch.  He went on to win his class at a county show down around Corpus Christi. He's posted photos on here before of him slicked off.  Turned into a really stout calf that finished out at 1300 lbs +.  Maybe he'll add his final photo here.

Attachments

• george at 1050.jpg
    george at 1050.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 167
  • george 1260.jpg
    george 1260.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 175
  • george county.jpg
    george county.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 189