what to breed a saug 3000c too

Help Support Steer Planet:

goodnight

cowboy up86 said:
what would be ur sug to breed a 3000c daughter too? bismark? ne advice would be great

Heifer or cow? What are your goals? I like New Look, and you would be doubling up EXT's mama. For showier calves, I would try Raven, Lookout, or Eagle Eye.

flacowman

I would prefer eagle eye of those but I love my calves out of a 3000c cow bred to net worth 4200

[email protected]

shes a heifer ive been showing, shes made really nice but might need to be just a little more sleeker fronted and some more turn out of her rib, shes deep sided and pretty but not alot of barrel when u get behind her and she gets that from the structure cow shes out of. so u all dont think bismark would work? or net worth i was hoping maybe to keep her style and add some meat and muscle in her

lightnin4

I've got some really nice calves out of Bismarck this spring and no calving problems with 1st calf heifers.  I have one Net Worth calf this year, but bred several cows back to him. 

flacowman

No and yes....i have 4 that just placed 2nd, 1st, 1st, and 3rd in their respective classes at the GA futurity (wish i could have gone with them) and I expect them to be extremely competitive as they grow.  Mine are looking to be late bloomers but are already nice

Davis Shorthorns

I would go with bismark or final answer for the first calf.  The next time I would use bismark or net worth.  The bismarks that I have seen were really good and final answer is really good at getting that first one out without any problems and they are still nice cattle that you could show.  there were a few final answer class winners at Jr. Nationals this year. 

gatorbait

I know what Paul Hill would say.... Net Woorth!!!! If she is your typical pretty good fronted Saugahatchee, Net Worth will definitely stouten one up and add some mass/volume...Sure have seen a lot of nice ones crossed that way... I would breed her Net Worth if I was doing the angus thing and then unless something better comes along go Bismark on the following generation. Been out of it a while myself but the idea of a bismark back on a NW/Saug sounds like a winner. I really don't see puting Raven on a Saugahatchee. Ravens really seem to downsize but I bet the cross would be wistle fronted with a good look. It is interesting that we are seeing a divergence in show angus cattle you have the SAV/CH breeding vs. Ohlde/Express influenced cattle I would be interested to see how the cattle meshed together. Good to see the breed move away from those ______ carcass/ultrasound cattle. It was about time for the pendulum to swing back a little.

gatorbait

Just read your discripter.... for a heifer you might think Bismark.... also if you think the front end needs some improvement NW is probable not the best answer they can get pretty chubby necked... and he is probable creeping up to a +5 BW EPD... Bismarks come pretty easy and are cleaner made through the front end. Don't know a lot about the new SAV bulls like I said its been a while since I seen ANY cattle!!! April in fact. I'm so ready to get home!!!